fever in a 19 month old

my son had the runny nose and cough thing thats going around (allergies) and we got him over it, and then a couple days later it came back and also included a low grade fever. we have gotten the cough and runny nose to go away, but the low grade fever (100.2- 100.8) would kinda just come and go. it would never last more than a couple hours, so i just kinda ignored it. well now he has officially got me worried. yesterday he was hot and just kinda laying around all day long. i figured it was just low grade and he legitimately hadnt gotten much sleep all day so i just held him all day long, and went to our birthday parties as planned. when i got to my grandmothers house i layed him down to try to get some sleep cause he was getting cranky, and when i went to check on him an hour or so later he was burning up; like way way hot and lethargic.

nessamarie

Asked by nessamarie at 3:08 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Health

• i gave him the tylenol and headed home. when i got home he had a rectal temp of 103.7, but shortly after the tylenol kicked in, broke the fever and he was acting his normal crazy child self. about 9 i put him to bed and he slept until noon today. once again low grade fever all day and spiked when it got dark. this time i gave him the tylenol when it started spiking and it kept him from getting all lethargic and scary. and he just came home and went right to sleep.
    anyhow the only symptoms he has is the fever, tired and sometimes he acts like it hurts to swallow or his head or joints hurt cause he will grab at them. at what point should i be concerned to take him to the dr. i dont want to take him in and them be like oh theres nothing wrong sometimes they just run fevers, and with the change in weather they are gonna be sick. but i dont want to not take him if he needs antibiotics either...
    nessamarie

Comment by nessamarie (original poster) at 3:09 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I have a 19 month old daughter. I think you should take your little one to the doctor is the fever continues. Fevers usually mean there is some kind of infection. Hope he feels better soon.

mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 3:30 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• yes, take the baby to the doctor. my son is often sick and develops high fevers that last up to three to four days. this is always caused by an infection of the throat or ears. on one occasion his fever reached 104 and he had a seizure. it was frightning so keep an eye on them temps..ofcourse it helps to alternate tylenol and motrin as prescribed on the bottles. this helps reduce the fever quickly. tylenol alone does not work for my son. good luck.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 3:53 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• thanks, i am hoping they are open tomorrow... banks and schools are closed due to columbus day. also his dr is out of town till next monday so i have to take him to another dr, that knows nothing about my son. i was really hoping to at least be able to put it off till his dr got back but with the high temps, and no sleep cause he cant get comfy i just dont think i can wait that long
    nessamarie

Comment by nessamarie (original poster) at 4:47 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I would consider taking him to the Urgent care or Emergency Room right away. only because if it persist hell could break loose. And this day and age CPS is alive and screwing families up left and right. They may say crud like why did you wait so long etc.. I would take him right away.

** Side note.. I am a Christian so I will pray for him.
    pumpkindreams

Answer by pumpkindreams at 8:52 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• aww thanks for praying for my baby :) i just woke up and am gonna get dressed and take him to the walkin clinic. he isnt awake yet, as he didnt get to sleep until about 4am , but after this weekend im not even gonna bother waiting to see how he feels this morning
    nessamarie

Comment by nessamarie (original poster) at 11:14 AM on Oct. 11, 2010