fever in 19 month old

my son had the runny nose and cough thing thats going around (allergies) and we got him over it, and then a couple days later it came back and also included a low grade fever. we have gotten the cough and runny nose to go away, but the low grade fever (100.2- 100.8) would kinda just come and go. it would never last more than a couple hours, so i just kinda ignored it. well now he has officially got me worried. yesterday he was hot and just kinda laying around all day long. i figured it was just low grade and he legitimately hadnt gotten much sleep all day so i just held him all day long, and went to our birthday parties as planned. when i got to my grandmothers house i layed him down to try to get some sleep cause he was getting cranky, and when i went to check on him an hour or so later he was burning up; like way way hot and lethargic.

nessamarie

Asked by nessamarie at 3:28 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i gave him the tylenol and headed home. when i got home he had a rectal temp of 103.7, but shortly after the tylenol kicked in, broke the fever and he was acting his normal crazy child self. about 9 i put him to bed and he slept until noon today. once again low grade fever all day and spiked when it got dark. this time i gave him the tylenol when it started spiking and it kept him from getting all lethargic and scary. and he just came home and went right to sleep.
    anyhow the only symptoms he has is the fever, tired and sometimes he acts like it hurts to swallow or his head or joints hurt cause he will grab at them. at what point should i be concerned to take him to the dr. i dont want to take him in and them be like oh theres nothing wrong sometimes they just run fevers, and with the change in weather they are gonna be sick. but i dont want to not take him if he needs antibiotics either...
    nessamarie

Comment by nessamarie (original poster) at 3:29 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Take him in any fever lasting that long needs to be addressed. But with my kids I give tylenol then 2 hrs later motrin. Then 2 hour tylenol then 2 hrs motrin that way when one runs out the other is still on and you can give each every 4 hours. My kids do find by day and after dinner and before bath spike and puke ect... Take baby in! Tomorrow is mon morning call as soon as they open and set appt.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 3:59 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• thanks, i am hoping they are open tomorrow... banks and schools are closed due to columbus day. also his dr is out of town till next monday so i have to take him to another dr, that knows nothing about my son. i was really hoping to at least be able to put it off till his dr got back but with the high temps, and no sleep cause he cant get comfy i just dont think i can wait that long
    nessamarie

Comment by nessamarie (original poster) at 4:47 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• it could be an ear infection
    crystaldinae

Answer by crystaldinae at 11:54 AM on Oct. 11, 2010