How do you feel about a continued family name?

My husband's family has a continued family name for three generations. I really like the idea of naming our son in the same line. However, my husband is not sure that it is a good idea because he feels it leaves me out of naming my son. Do you think that continuing the family name? Any ideas on how to let my husband know I like this idea and am fine with it?

LoneStarMommaD

Asked by LoneStarMommaD at 4:42 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Baby Names

• I just love the fact that your husband is being considerate of you ! that's awesome.....if this is something he'd like and you want to do it, then why not suggest that you take part in the second name, or that you choose the first name and use the family name for a middle.... I kinda think tradition is nice....but I will say that my ex-husband had a devil of a time because his dad ended up with bad credit and when we went to get a house we had to go through so much to prove that he and his dad were not one in the same person.... but then they shared both first and middle and last names.... tradition is so nice though...gives a real sense of "culture" i think !
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 5:15 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I love it..lol just tell him that's what YOU would prefer :)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:53 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My son is a fourth generation Osbaldo. LOL didn't really care for the name, but I care about his feelings and my FIL and I like that it has some history and ties him back to his family.
    ednaamelia

Answer by ednaamelia at 6:39 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• As long as it's a name that you like, I see no problems with it. Just let your husband know that you like it. I think that by making the decision that you do like the family name enough to continue on with it, that is an involvement in naming your child.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 8:48 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Ya, I have my dads name. Its a cool idea.
    stepho345

Answer by stepho345 at 5:08 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• * By his I mean hubbys
    ednaamelia

Answer by ednaamelia at 6:41 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Why not use it as a middle name, that way you still continue on the tradition, but still get to pick out a name for him as well.

Plum419

Answer by Plum419 at 6:52 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Nope I hate it. And so does my DH, his brother, and his father. Dh has the only different name. BIL got the family name and he despises it.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:00 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Just tell you like it. It's as simple as that.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:06 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My son has a middle name that has been the first son's middle name for the last 4 generations. I really like that he has it - it's something very special. I feel like it gives him a special place in a family of a dozen grandchildren, he's the only "Walters" and his Pawpaw shows a special affinity for him.

Answer by missanc at 8:34 AM on Oct. 11, 2010