Is it at all possible to start BF again a few months after weaning?

I've weaned my DD about 3 months ago. I regret it now and would like to start again. Am I hoping for a miracle?

CassyzMom

Asked by CassyzMom at 5:16 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You absolutely can start to breastfeed again. Even adopted parents have the ability to produce milk for their baby. Put baby to the breast as often as you can. I will send you more information regarding relactation because it is too much to fit into the answer section. Relactation is VERY possible!!!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 8:02 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It wouldn't hurt to try... if I'm right, we make milk as it is needed... supply and demand... so if the baby is trying to nurse, I'm sure you would make milk.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 5:39 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I tried to answer earlier, but my internet connection was soooooo slow! (I think my SO was eating bandwidth downloading something)

Like mama said, relactation is very doable- even MEN can lactate and nurse an infant (goole it, it is pretty awesome!). It'll take a lot of patience, but I commend you on the desire to do so, and the effort you'll put forth. :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:43 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• OMG MAMA_I! YOU JUST MADE MY DAY
    CassyzMom

Comment by CassyzMom (original poster) at 8:25 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• If you have a little milk I would say yes try it wouldn't hurt and if the baby wants you can still make more milk so try it
    krystal2010

Answer by krystal2010 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• You absolutely can. That's not to say that it won't be hard, because it MIGHT be. The first step here is to offer your breast and see if baby will latch. If so, offer as often as baby will take it. You can look into getting a supplemental nursing system, and have all feedings at the breast. I would seek out your local La Leche League and attend their meetings, they are a great support system, and great help! Stop into the Breastfeeding Moms group here for lots of other tips. If baby won't latch yet, you'll need a good pump, and for starters, pump every 2 hrs.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:47 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• To answer louise's question of why not just pump..for one, exclusive pumping can be very tedious and difficult. Some women don't respond well to a pump. Mom here wants to nurse, which I applaud, though in the event that the child refuses to latch after a LOT of trying, pumping is a good idea.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:48 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yep, you can! I have induced lactation for an adopted baby. I have a blog with lots of info, including a "How to relactate" page at http://thebreastfeedingmother.blogspot.com/p/how-do-i-relactate.html

Let me know if  this helps!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:52 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I'm not sure... I don't think so if it has been 3 months. It's all supply and demand and there has been no demand so the supply might have dried up... wouldn't hurt to atleast try tho...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 5:42 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Why not just punp and put it in a sippy cup or bottle.

Answer by louise2 at 5:45 AM on Oct. 11, 2010