how would you feel???

i work with a college freshman who recently started having sex with her high school sweet heart. she wants to tell her mom, which i have encouraged her to do, but she thinks her mom is going to flip out. would anyone flip out if their 18 year old told them she was sexually active? i personally would not. i would be happy that she felt comfortable to discuss it with me. what is your opinion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:32 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• In our family our belief is that you better be married before having sex. Aside from that, married or not I don't think its the mom's business to know about daughter's sex life if she is an adult(18).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:34 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• If my DD feels comfortable telling me those things without my prying, I'd be honored that she would share it with me. It shows we have a strong bond.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 7:08 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I am 33 and I don't talk to my mother about my sex life. Trust me I can talk to my mother about ANYTHING.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 7:10 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I would not flip out. I would hope all our previous discussions about maturity, preganancy, and STDs would mean a lot.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:13 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I would try to be calm and not flip out. notice I put *try* in there, lol. I'm honestly hoping that when my daughter is older, she'll feel comfortable coming to me and letting me know that she feels like she's ready, so that I can use my mistakes to help her learn. But goodness knows I wasn't comfortable telling my mom, because I knew she would flip out. It wasn't until a good year or so into my relationship with dh (at around 20 or so) that I was honest with her about us (we were still dating around then), and it was a good year or two after that that I finally admitted that I had been sexually active since I was 16.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 8:38 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• IF it is their family beliefs to wait til marriage to have sex, then yes - the mother is libel to flip out. It isn't the mother's business that her ADULT daughter is having sex.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:12 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I would feel honored that the bond we have was strong enough for this.

Answer by older at 9:33 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Every household has it's own value system on how they grew up with. Yours might not be theirs.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Why would I expect my adult daughter who is out of high school to be discussing her sex life with me? If she has a question about something in that area, that's different but just to want to announce to me that she's having sex - no, I really don't need to know that. And if she's married, I'm going to assume that she's having sex but I still don't need to know about it.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 2:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• yup if she's telling you then maybe her and her momma dont have that kind of relationship
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2010