For those who believe in reincarnation: Do you think certain things can carry over from one life to another or be explained by past lives?

For example, do you think something like homosexuality can be explained because in a previous life the person was male, so in this lifetime she is a lesbian? Or child prodigies, like Mozart, played their instrument in a previous life, so have a natural talent for it in their current life?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 6:35 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Religious Debate

• A big yes on the reincarnation aspect. Sometimes, when we find our past life soulmate in THIS life, they have incarnated into the same sex as us. Do we just stop loving them? Of course not. We are all born with cell memories from previous lives and we all seek out those we cared about in those lives--friends and family. We carry gestures and habits from those lives. We carry fears and phobias as well. The actions of an obsessive-compulsive disorder often have seeds in past life experiences. A fear of water or snakes or other phobias often connect to a former life. I was beheaded in a former life and I hate high necklines or choker-type necklaces. When you remember what you were then, you sometimes understand what you are now.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Anything else is the devil playing tricks on the mind and deception. "

life must be scary for you.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:05 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I think its possible, but not a normal occurance. I think there would have to be a reason for it. Such as the spirit needed to learn something that involved those qualities.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:59 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I don't believe in it per se-but I have to admit, there are things that make me believe its possible so who is to say what is right and what is wrong-its just what people believe and its all good to me ;)
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:45 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Sure. I, for example, fully believe that my current beliefs are due to spiritual development in past lives. When I was a child I was being taught just about the opposite of what I believed... In no way was what I felt or believed what I was being exposed to, but I knew it... It was like I had knowledge or an understanding that I shouldn't have had, it was just a part of me. I honestly don't know how else to explain some of that - I mean, when you aren't exposed to something at all, yet, you know it and you have a firm grasp of it, where else could it have come from? I also have dreams and memories - and even fears - that can be tied to past lives... So yeah, I don't see why other things (sexuality, talent, whatever) couldn't also be transferred from one life to another.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yes, I believe so. More so with fears and phobias, but it is possibly with other aspects of our lives as well. It could be a form of cell memory. But, I feel we are more inclined to "carry over" aspects of our past lives that we need to work on or that we feel are important for this life turning out the way it is supposed to. Take me for instance. I have had several dreams of flying over the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland. I had no idea what they were until another mom here on CM showed me a pick. I have also never been to Ireland in this life, so there is no way for me to know what they looked like. I have no way to explain this other then it is cell memory from a past life.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 5:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I have hope in reincarnation. I don't think those things carry over from life to life. Genius I feel is strictly biological as well as sexuality.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:10 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Some things do carry over from one lifetime to the next, but only if it's important. Can past lives explain things in the current life? I believe that to be true as well. Personally I love choker style necklaces, but can't wear them because they make me uncomfortable as do turtleneck sweaters. In a past life, I was told, I was killed by hanging. So it kind of makes sense. Don't know if i'm 100% sold on it, but I am open to the idea.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:38 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Judaism does believe in reincarnation and that souls have to do some "tikkun" (correction) in order to achieve the necessary level to achieve a closeness with G-d in the World to Come. According to Judaism, whatever happens to us, the "baggage" we're born with, the situations we face are all what we need to achieve that soul correction.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:48 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I am not saying I truly believe in the carry over thing but I can see how it is plausible. It makes sense in a way and is one way to explain things. I do believe in reincarnation and always have without even reading up on it.
    JuJubean1979

Answer by JuJubean1979 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 11, 2010