Is ignorance bliss?

As I read alot of Q&As I see alot of ignorance - in the form of intolerance/hate, misinformation about religion and history, lack of in-depth understanding of all sides of current issues (e.g. believing everything seen on TV or read on the internet without fact checking/investigating).

It seems to me that the people who are the most ignorant on the continuum of the above are the ones with the most hate and anger, control and entitlement issues. This does not sound blissful at all to me...

What do you think?

figaro8895

Asked by figaro8895 at 7:22 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i agree
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 7:40 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I think depending on the topic (subject matter), sometimes ignorance can be bliss. There's some things we just don't need to know or that no good can come from hearing about. In cases where that info is harmless, but still disturbing just to know about (ie masturbation), then thats something that could be kept to one's self imho.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:54 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I think on some subjects putting your head in the sand approach is the only way they can emotionally handle it. Some things are just to emotionally hard to except , or is so different from our belief we don't want to change .

zbee

Answer by zbee at 8:38 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I think that's why cafemom is a good place for those who don't know what to do about certain situations..... But, for those who claim to know everything, and post it, and then argue with others opinions, surely aren't living in bliss, they are just completely ignorant, and it has to be a miserable existence....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:46 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I think in some cases yes, ignorance is bliss.If there is no possible good that can come from the situation, or the person simply can't deal with the facts. However, ignorance is the cause of a lot of the problems in the world today. A lot of people (myself included) could stand to learn the facts before making snap judgement.
    bugslady96

Answer by bugslady96 at 8:52 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• If ignorance is bliss then the majority of the women on cm must be deliriously happy!
    Perhaps making a point to call someone else ignorant is just showing your own ignorance and intolerance.Because someone dares to disagree with you does not in any way establish one's intelligence or ignorance.The mind set I see most around here is "believe in what we believe or don't say anything at all".To me,THAT is ignorance.
    GingerKitten

Answer by GingerKitten at 9:54 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• agree
    LilMomma212

Answer by LilMomma212 at 10:29 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It seems that way for a lot of people doesn't it? Had to bump you for this one!
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I agree
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 1:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2010