Angels. This question is for Jews, Christians and Muslims (or anyone else who believes in angels)

Do angels have free will according to your beliefs/religion? Can you please tell me verses from your religious text that supports your belief that they do or don‘t?

Thanks.

***No down voting just because someone has a different belief than you, please***

Plum419

Asked by Plum419 at 7:37 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Religious Debate

• The Angels I'm aware of play in Anaheim, CA in the American League ;-)
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:47 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• lol
    Plum419

Comment by Plum419 (original poster) at 7:48 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i believe anyone can be an angel. Just a lively spirit that looks after a loved one
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 7:56 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yes - according to my beliefs, angels do have free will. I can't give you verses from the Bible (I'm Protestant Christian), but from what I've been told: Satan was once an angel (Lucifer), but he turned against God (meaning he must have had free will) - not sure where to find that in the Bible, sorry. I don't believe people become angels after we die. Angels are angels, people that go to Heaven are not.

Answer by missanc at 8:28 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I was told by a total stranger that knocked on my door that my house was full of angels, and she wanted to buy my house. I told her that my house and the angels were not for sale! I totally believe in angels, they have been with me all my life, my eldest daughter as a child use to tell me there was a man sitting at the end of her bed every night, it did not scare her at all, she felt safe....

Answer by older at 9:32 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• According to Judaism, no, angels don't have free will. That's why Judaism doesn't believe in Satan as an independent entity, but rather as doing G-d's will. The only beings with free will are humans, and no, they cannot become angels. In away we are superior to angels because if we choose to act morally and right, we do it by our own choice. So becoming an angel without free will doesn't really seem like much of a reward for having used our free will in a positive way.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:45 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I assume they have free will....There is a story in the book of Revelation about how Lucifer decided to rebel and many of the angels took his side....so there was a war in heaven.....now the story could just be symbolic.....but I always assumed that angels have free will.....I don't think there is any way to know for certain or to "prove" it one way or another.....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yes they do. Remember 1/3 of the angels fell with Lucifer. They had a choice to remain or not. They had that free will.
    The bible says as believers we will judge the angels.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:19 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Where in the bible does it say these things?

Plum419

Comment by Plum419 (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I am a spiritual atheist who believes in angels. Mind you, I didn't WANT to, but when you see them and hear them, well, you kind of have to take notice. I believe in the answers THEY give me, rather than some religious text that has been penned and warped by misogynistic men. They DO have free will. I have been asking my guardian angel to help me win a PCH jackpot for over 40 years and he keeps withholding it!! LOL.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:46 PM on Oct. 11, 2010