Cleaning business some advice please

I want to start a house cleaning service, just me. I have been cleaning friends and family houses for a few years now and sometimes they are just nasty i cant even think to hard about what stuff is because i'll make myself sick. I have been thinkin about printing up some business cards and placeing them on boards at the grocery story and so forth, is that a good idea do people even look at those things any more? I'm 23 and have 2 kids and would clean while they are in school or while their dad is watching them. I know what i'm getting into i just am not sure how to start. I've posted adds on craigslist and care.com but have gotten nothing back, so any advice or tips would be great. Thank you

malibu79

Asked by malibu79 at 7:54 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think people do look at those notices. What about doing a mailing to different areas in your town. You can mail a notice to "resident or home owner" . Make it upbeat and say you have references. Make sure some of the people you have cleaned for would be good references. Do not go around and just put fliers in mailboxes. That is not legal. I got stung doing that. I was also going to suggest care.com but I see you have done that. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:10 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• One more idea........you might check out www.indeed.com . Put in the word cleaning and your zipcode. ;)
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:16 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I do look at those notice boards. My local library has a notice board like that, too, maybe your local libraries do as well?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:26 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• yellow pages online lets you put up free ads
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:30 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I also do my own cleaning business but since I live on a military base where everyone knows everyone else its very easy to just go by word of mouth. But in the civilian community I'd do what the other ladies suggested, make some fliers where you can pull off your phone number at the bottom and make sure you have your rate listed right where everyone can see it clear as day. Good luck!
    lega2131

Answer by lega2131 at 8:46 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I know the bulletins here are definitely read. Our library also has one. I would put one up.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 8:52 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Here's the problem with cleaning services (at least in my area), everybody's aunt, uncle, sister, brother is doing it. Take the time to become a legal business in your city. This will show that you are a serious business. Also, consider going beyond just cleaning homes but consider doing errands or pet and home sittings as well. Find something that the other cleaning businesses are not doing and offer it. Also, when you post on bulletin boards, be sure to put a coupon just as $10 off first cleaning or save 10% if you call by such and such date. Give them a reason to call you. Also, consider joining a business group here on Cafemom, Mommy Movers and Shakers is a good one to join to network with other business women.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:27 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My dh and I started a cleaning business and flyers did nothing for us. We got 1 call from a girl wondering if we are hiring! This could say something about our economy...who has the $ in a community where we are creating our own jobs? But another important point: All of our customers were word of mouth. You are going into peoples homes often when they are not home and I think they want to know your references not just know you have references. I wished all my advertising had worked because I put a lot of time and effort into it.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 10:11 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I put my ad up online and the phone started ringing off the hook. Eventually I took it down because I was getting to many calls.... anyway putting an ad up online is free and easy to do. I personally would recommend starting there.

Good luck :)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:37 AM on Oct. 12, 2010