can you believe this....

I babysit a child he just turned 3 and i had been charging the mom $75 a week. I feed him, provide his wipes, and also have to fill his juice cup up everyday when he leaves (his mom says he has a fit if he don't have something on the way home-even though its only 5 mins away). I called her over the weekend and asked if she could start giving me $85 a week and she ask why am I all of a sudden going up...I went on to tell her that our food stamps went down for some reason, and I am not getting child support and will not be getting any for another 2 months. She goes well if I help you out like this do you think we could go back to $75 within a month or 2. I just sat on the phone shocked I usually don't ask for anything so this was a weird situation for me, and I go well I will have to see. Can you believe she acted like this??? What would you do or say to her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Oh and by the way I watch him 5 days a week 9 hours a day
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:30 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• The price you are asking is more than fair! Maybe ask her if she doesn't want to pay more then maybe she can bring all his supplies with him like wipes and food for him during the day and juice that he likes. It's hard to do these things for friends sometime. But you have to worry about yout family too! Good luck mama!
    MrsHatch4

Answer by MrsHatch4 at 8:37 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I don't think it's any of her business why you need more. When you are taking money from someone for pay, you should treat it as a business. When rates change you should put it in writing, and include that rates could go up because of the cost of living.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:40 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Considering how much money she'd be paying if she had the child in a daycare facility, you'd think she'd see that what you ask of her is MORE than fair. I agree also that it's not her concern where your financials are concerned. I'd never as such a thing!
    bugslady96

Answer by bugslady96 at 8:46 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• You did not raise the price too much at all. I would suggest to her if she does not want to raise the price she bring all his supplies.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 8:47 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I think its awesome that you even went outta your way to supply all of that! I send both my kids to the sitter with dipes, wipes, ALL snacks, juice, EVERYTHING they need, except water! lol...I get a good little rate because the girl is pretty young and not looking for a job outside of her home...but seriously I wouldnt be mad if she asked for ten more dollars. In fact I started paying my sitter 20 more dollars a week when i saw how great she was! So like this month she'll make like 600 for watching my two! I would have asked for more if I was you or even tell her to provide everything her child needs to cushion the difference!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:49 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I would tell her sorry, but no, you aren't prepared to go back down, unless she's prepared to provide all his meals, snacks, juice, and supplies. Yes, she could take him somewhere else and you would be out the money, but frankly, I don't think she will - because she's not going to find anyone else that's willing to do it for a low as your price - either of them.

Then, if I were you, I would call around and ask several daycare centers what THEY charge for the amount of time you sit, and if they provide snacks, etc, or if that's provided by the parents. Yes, you aren't a daycare center, and probably aren't a licensed home child care provider (not slamming on you, just pricing your services) - but I bet that they charge more than double what you do!

She's ripping you off!

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:51 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• cont

Right now, you aren't even getting 20 a day to watch him. Right now, you are making $1.60 an hour - and that DOESN'T include supplies! So, let's say that you spend, what, a minimum of $5 a day on food, juice, wipes, etc. That puts you earning basically ONE DOLLAR an hour watching her child! She isn't willing to pay more than ONE DOLLAR an hour for child care?!?

I would confront her with these figures and see what she says then!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:54 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yeah, what sailorwifenmom said!!
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 9:00 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Wow, I was charging $80/week 15 years ago & that was cheap back then (I provided meals, but diapers & wipes were provided by the parents). You are seriously undercutting the competition already, so I wouldn't worry about your price at all. That mom has it good & should be ashamed of herself for not being willing to fork over $10/week more to the woman who is caring for her child (raising him, really, at 9 hrs/day) & providing so well for his needs. I totally agree with sailorwifemom - don't back down on your price!
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:07 AM on Oct. 11, 2010