God in America, are you going to watch?

I'm torn on this. On one hand it sounds interesting, on the other, it sounds like it's a very skewed and historically inaccurate record. Or at least, they choose to leave out the vast majority of anything not Protestant and basically give the concept of "God" to evangelicals, not allowing for much at all from any other faith, not even other Christian ones. Review of it here:
http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/articles/2010/10/11/god_in_america_offers_a_grand_if_limited_look_at_american_spirituality/?page=1

Starts tonight on PBS and airs through the week.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:47 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 8:47 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Not sure if I will watch or not.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 8:49 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Nope.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:51 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I might, if I remember, lol
    Plum419

Answer by Plum419 at 8:52 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It looks interesting to me.  So long as a person doesn't take shows like this to be the only truth and  maybe then it can spark interest in doing some personal research. Unfortunately between hubbys surgery and midterms this week, no TV time for me.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 8:55 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It could be interesting. Unfortunately, the majority of those who watch it will just nod their heads and say, "Yep. That's how it happened. That's how it is" without considering that even though this is on PBS, which usually does a pretty good job of unbiased and thorough representations of topics, it's not infallible. It's sad that just one perspective is given any in-depth attention, and so many others are brushed over or neglected all together. It could reinforce the inaccurate idea that many have that America is a Christian nation.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 8:59 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I'm not going to watch it tonight because I don't want to throw up my wonderful Thanksgiving dinner.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 9:44 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• We don't have cable, but I'd watch it, even just to see what they have to say. I can take it with a grain of salt.. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:05 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Thanks for the post. I'll tape it, I don't know if I'll watch the whole thing.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:12 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• We might, as we're big PBS fans. I don't swallow everything I see/hear on The History Channel, either, but I find some of their presentations interesting, as well.
    However, we don't record/tivo anything, and wednesday's program will get trumped by Criminal Minds. :))
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:31 AM on Oct. 11, 2010