Have you ever messaged another member here and had them ignore you?

This has happened to me a few times and I dont really get it. I have sent messages to other members (these are nice notes, like "hey I really liked your answer to my question, thank you!" or "great journal post, do you have any more information on that topic") and most of the time, the person will reply, but a few times, there just hasn't been any response. I think this is really rude. Has it ever happened to you and why do you think someone would not write back if the note was friendly?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in About CafeMom

• Are you leaving these in a personal message or are they in a chatterbox? If it is a chatterbox, they may just not notice. If it's a message, they may either a) only read there messages once every few weeks or b) they may read it but at the time they read it they may not have time to respond back and then forget to when they do have time. Also, if you are sending them a message of "friendly advice", expect to be ignored or even blocked. I had that happen to me a few days ago. Someone responded to my question, but instead of putting it in answers they messaged me, telling me what I need to do. Um, No, Thank you! Anyways, there could be a number of reasons why they didn't respond back. I wouldn't take it too personal though.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:58 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Not yet no. I am not sure why they do not respond. Maybe they do not even use their inbox here.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 8:53 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I think people kinda get busy or don't check messages often. One thing I have learned about CM is not to take things personally. There are so many different people on here that you'd be nuts if you did. :)~
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 8:54 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• No, I don't think I'm liked a whole lot on here,lol.... I do check my messages when I see I have some, but I usually only have best answer alerts in it so I just read them and delete them... I'm not here to make friends, or get best answer, just to help out when I can, or offer my opinion when I feel the need to,lol....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 8:57 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Depending on the day, I may get home and find 50+ new messages in my inbox. Most of them are related to my group or best answer notifications. If I skim through and don't notice one that's something different, I'll go directly to my group and deal with things there. For other people, they aren't on as often - they'll answer a few questions and check in with groups, but not come back again for weeks. If you're not getting an answer, don't take it personally. I've had people reply to messages months later after I'd forgotten I'd ever sent them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:16 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• honestly, I am one of the ppl who doesn't answer... usually becuase I never go to my inbox though :( When I do I answer them,, its just usually months after the fact.
    BriHan06

Answer by BriHan06 at 11:21 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• A response to a kind letter would be nice, but should not be expected. IMO it is like any other gift.. it should be given freely with no expectations.
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 11:36 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• People are just different. Answering or not has nothing to do with you. Don't take it personally.
    depressedmom65

Answer by depressedmom65 at 11:48 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i agree with you fully. When I don't get answers I just assume that they either haven't been on or they are too busy or just don't want to talk to someone new
    crystaldinae

Answer by crystaldinae at 12:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• There could be any number of reasons. I get so many messages I tend to lose track. I may not have time to deal with it right then and it's gets bumped down..When I find it again it been forever. It could also be that they don't talk to strangers. A strong taboo on taking interactions out this section or off a group or journal to pms exists. I feel that way often. If you have something nice to say about a journal or post the best thing is to say it there.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 2:58 PM on Oct. 11, 2010