Local bakery refuses to make rainbow cupcakes for gay customer- your opinion?

Yes... another GAY post. Get over it.

Link to the story about the cupcakes below...

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:55 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My opinion, if you start a business in which you are serving customers you give up the right to decide who eats or buys from you. If someone were to go to a bigger company like say Taco Bell, Mcdonalds, or what not and be refused food based on sexual preference then the bigger franchises would be held accountable for discrimination and so should smaller businesses.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 10:55 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I think that as a private business, they have the right to refuse to make the cupcakes. If they don't want the money they would have made from the order, fine. And I also believe that if there are people who disagree with the bakery's decision, then they have the right to NOT purchase from the bakery. The bakery can choose which orders they'd like to fill and can deal with the repercussions of those decisions.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:58 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• connie b, welcome to cafemom. I voted you down for saying one of the most bigoted things I've ever seen! Congratulations on going with the shock value!

As far as the business owner goes, I'm glad they did it. They get to take their moral stand, and put their bigotry right out in the open where everyone can see it. It's their right to refuse service, and they can now take the loss of business that goes with it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:04 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I think this situation was already discussed a week or two ago. It's their right as a business to make a decision to either sell or not sell to a customer. Personally, I would rather sell and make money since that's what business is all about. If they want to make sure that gay people don't eat their cupcakes then they should just close shop. As for the organizers for the event, that's not the only bakery in town. Someone else can make the cupcakes for them. No reason to demonize a business that already exhibits poor business practice. Chances are, if they are that picky about their clientele, they won't be in business long.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:01 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Would we defend his right to refuse if it were a black person, or would he be racist?

Would we defend his right to refuse a female, or would be he sexist?

Would we defend his right to refuse to a heavy person, or would it be discrimination?

Why are we defending his right to refuse in this case? What's the difference? Discrimination is discrimination.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• That is their right.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:58 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It's their business. They can do whatever they want.
    TALuke

Answer by TALuke at 9:04 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• So what? A business owner has the right.Anyway,the pasteries were made at another business..so whats the problem?
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:59 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• While I think being gay is wrong... refusing service was wrong...

Its no different than them refusing to make cupcakes for you if they think you're too fat or too skinny... or not the right skin color...

Discrimination is discrimination.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 9:01 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Now everyone in town knows where not to shop. Hopefully the bigot to rational person ratio in that town is such that they'll be out of business by the end of the year.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:07 AM on Oct. 11, 2010