if you have a son, are you going to be like your mother in law someday?

assuming you have one of "those" mother in laws.. or monster in laws rather. you know, the type that thinks all girls are evil and will never measure up to your or his standards.

just curious, i have all girls but if i had a boy i don't think i would be as extreme, i've learned from my own experiences with my mother in law exactly how i would not want to treat girls that would come into my son's life.

i realize that it is a protection thing :)

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 8:56 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• God, I hope not. Go ahead and put me in the loony bin if I am though!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:00 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• LOL - reading the title of your question, my answer is I really hope so, but when I read the stuff inside it, my answer would have to be no, I'm not going to be like that.

My mil is wonderful - she had a really bad mil herself, and she has always been very sweet and supportive of me. She openly admits that she loves her ds dearly, but that his number one priority should be me and our children, just as her dh's number one priority should have been (and was - my fil is great, too) her and their kids.

I hope that I'm just as classy and nice and supportive, in a non intrusive way, as my mil! (and I have a 17 yr old ds, so I've got to "practice" this approach with various girlfriends - some I've liked better than others, but I've been nice to all of them).
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:02 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I agree, I hope not. I don't think I will be either since we are so different from each other and I see how much stress my Husband has in his life because of it.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:02 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My MIL lives over 2000 miles away, and I wish she were closer... My Hubby's not a Mommas boy, she taught him to stand on his own feet, and be the strong Man that he is... I have a ton of respect for her.

As for me, I hope all 3 of our boys find strong, smart, and loving women to be in their lives... I have tried to make it clear to our oldest (14) that he shold keep his standards high, and that there's a whole world out there, explore it, and you never know who you're going to meet in the future..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:03 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My mother in law (rest her soul)... hated me. Not a little, she really freaking hated me... so no, I don't think I'll be that way
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 9:04 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I don't have a son, but couldn't resist answering this, anyhow. I would NEVER EVER be like my MIL - that woman is a piece of work! Although, I see tendencies of my DD's current boyfriend's mother being like that - UGH!
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 9:05 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I am pretty accepting of people unless they cross me so I don't see that being a problem. I also plan to teach my son to stand up for himself and his family so if I overstep my boundaries he should tell me. I hope someone smacks me if I am one of those MILs, lol!
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I hope I am exactly the same as my mother in law. She is wonder full!! I just hope I'm not like my mother!!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:18 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• NO! My mother-in-law does not like anyone except her daughters. She doesn't even like her own sons. My mother-in-law and her daughters go around calling themselves the "Female Mafia" and treat everyone bad.

emerald53197

Answer by emerald53197 at 9:21 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I hope I'm not, at least as far as that goes. My MIL accepts me now, but it took a long road to get here. I don't want any woman to feel like my son is too good for her. I hope that if he loves her enough, then that's all that would matter to me. His happiness is more important than mine.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 9:29 AM on Oct. 11, 2010