Is it okay for us to celebrate genocide and rape?????

Okay let's have a little debate abou today: Columbus Day. Most of us have heard the history and know that not only did he not actually discover North America or the US( he made 4 voyages that landed him in the region of Cuba, The Bahamas, and Central America), but he also ordered the rape and murder of thousands of innocent men, women, and children that had occupied that land for centuries...

So what do you think girls... Isn't kind of barbaric to devote a national holiday to remembering him? Why or why not?

Obviously, I am very much against it. Yes, it is great to be the first to discover something BUT the term discover indicates that it was not already found by someone else, which it was... In my mind, that attitude in itself says that he and anyone who believes he discovered the lands he landed on believe that the Natives of that area were less than people... The rapes and slaughter was just plain evil...

BriHan06

Asked by BriHan06 at 9:12 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

•  but nobody forces you to celebrate

But they close many public schools...and sell the lie to our children that he "discovered" America...

OP, I posted about this last night too....

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:28 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Well, of course not! But then again, there are certain groups of people here in America that wish to shelter/protect the rights of a certain religion of peace that believes in the genocide and rape of their women who are viewed from birth as second class citizens. And when said women are believed to have "shamed" them, they "restore the honor" by killing them--by stoning them, drowning them, burning them alive, etc.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:05 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Is it okay for us to celebrate genocide and rape?????

I doubt you'll get an across the board ban on all the Christian holidays, but nobody forces you to celebrate them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:20 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I agree with you OP. Thankfully our kids don't have today off. They don't do anything for Columbus day here :)
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 9:29 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Just a national thing... Christian crusaders and invaders committed rape and genocide around the entire globe. Why just single out this holiday as offensive?

Because its today ! lol..

When Christmas comes around we can discuss with everythiings closed as well and if that constitutes "respecting" one religion over others! lol

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:43 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I kind of agree. I don't understand the way they teach history to glorify people when what they did wasn't praiseworthy, especially in this case. I don't get how schools can get away with misinformation, as they're there to educate....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I agree! In fact, I sent my kids to school armed with the truth about Columbus, lol!
    circle_of_life

Answer by circle_of_life at 10:10 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Simply because it is a tradition. I don't think many really stop to think of what really happened

The first Columbus Day celebration was held in 1792, when New York City celebrated the 300th anniversary of his landing in the New World. President Benjamin Harrison called upon the people of the United States to celebrate Columbus Day on the 400th anniversary of the event in 1892.

Italian-Americans observe Columbus Day as a celebration of their heritage, the first occasion being in New York City on October 12, 1866.
    San Francisco has the second oldest Columbus Day celebration, with Italians having commemorated it there since 1869.

in 1907, the first state-wide celebration was held. In 1937, at the behest of the Knights of Columbus, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt set aside Columbus Day as a federal holiday.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:18 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Today may be a holiday, but my kids are still going to school and I am off to work. My dh is off, but I have him working too!

Our school doesn't make a big deal about Columbus either. IMO, "Columbus Day" is more of a "habit" than anything else. It would literally take an act of Congress to get it off the calendar.........they seem to be a little busy with other issues.

We should ALWAYS teach our kids the truth about history..no matter how heinous. If we don't we are destined to repeat it.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:41 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• gertie- yes they brought over syphillis... The Nina, The Pinta, and Syphillis as my history professor put it lol

Comment by BriHan06 (original poster
    **********************
    LOL. Good one !!!
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:30 AM on Oct. 11, 2010