3yr old sleeping habits! helP

My daughter is 3 and has the worst sleeping habits for a toddler. I take the blame of course and acknowledge I am to blame. She has slept with me from the time she came home from the hospital. The crib was used for naps but at night she slept with me. Now at three if I am around she refusing to go to sleep if I do not lay down with her and let her rub my cheeks. Ever since she was about 2 she would go to sleep as late as 3 in the morning. it use to be so bad that I would fall asleep and find her still awake at 7am! Now she has been sleeping almost consistently by 9pm. It use to be such a fight and we just lay there until she calms down and falls asleep and this can take hours. We can lay down at 7-8pm and she wont be asleep for awhile. I notice when her father is around her sleeping is worse. She loves that man to no end and refuses to go to sleep whenever he is around. I dont know what to do to get her to sleep well.

KayGia0704

Asked by KayGia0704 at 9:14 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You might try the Super Nanny technique. Put the child to bed and tell them it is bedtime and no more talking. Then sit on the floor at the door to their room with your back to the bed. When she gets up put her back in her bed and SAY NOTHING. Repeat this as many times as it takes which as mentioned earlier might be a lot! Remain calm and loving through all of it. it might takes hours and several nights. Just one idea.......
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 10:30 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Put your foot down. Honestly. It will take a few days, even a few weeks. But she needs to be able to sleep on her own. She is doing this to you guys BECAUSE YOU ALLOW IT, not because she's used to it. Let her stay awake all night in her crib/bed for a few nights and watch how quickly she accepts that you won't allow it anymore, she'll adjust. Like I said, transition time will be nuts. I just HAD to do it with my 3 YO and now he sleeps all by himself in his bedroom (with his older brother). It took us about 1 week of fighting and 1 week of adjusting before SUCCESS! :) Good Luck.
    FinaOrlando

Answer by FinaOrlando at 9:50 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I will try!
    KayGia0704

Comment by KayGia0704 (original poster) at 10:02 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Sometimes I wish supernany can come help me! Thanks!
    KayGia0704

Comment by KayGia0704 (original poster) at 10:53 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• try cutting off the TV an hour before bedtime and instead sit and read with her for an hour then put your foot down. Bed time is bed time. Like PP above said it may take a few days or weeks, but you'll get there.

TV stimulates them so it makes it harder for them to fall asleep, or sleep well, or can even create nightmares if done right before sleep. so an hour before bed cut off the tube.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2010