How can I get my boss to stop being such a pushover?

I work for an OBGYN. His cell nr is for emergencies only, yet when patients phone him on his cell (non-emergencies) and want to see him, he tells them to just "Come along anytime". As a result, we get so booked up that we can't cope. I'm supposed to leave work at 5. I haven't left before 6 in months and no we don't get overtime. I went home at 8 last Friday. I have a 61/2 month old at home, which means DH has to watch her. He's not coping either, he gets impatient with her. I'm so stressed out that I can't function properly. When I'm working, I'm worried about her. I can't quit, they pay really well. I can't tell the boss what he should do. I'm stuck. Do you see any solutions?

CassyzMom

Asked by CassyzMom at 9:22 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• i understand what your talking about i dont do that same work you do but my boss is also a push over and she was ask to move to a different start and get demoted or leave the company and she pick to leave but i have everything the falls to me i have to do everyones job and i cant stand it i get off late i also dont get over time and if i do get it ill get yelled at and told you need to watch your hours really how can i leave when knows up here to take the keys its not my fault i dont know if they have anyone thats over him that you can talk to and if talking to him dont work i was about to do this but then she got told this and i also have a almost 3 month old at home i hope this make sense if not im sorry im at work and typeing fast but if you want you can message me i know it helps to have someone to talk to about it
    neonangel2188

Answer by neonangel2188 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I think you are the one being a push over! First you need to calm down and create a plan. You will need to sit down with your boss and his office manager (if you have one) and explain the problem to them. You have family committments and cannot work past 5:00 pm. You are perfectly aware and ok with emergencies changing that plan (which btw is much more than many moms can do!), but lately the late nights have not been due to emergencies. Explain that you love working there and want to continue, etc.. but that this is stressing you out and making life difficult at home.

They may not realize that they are inconveniencing you. You need to speak up. Try to speak about how you feel and what you think may be the problem. I would try to avoid telling them exactly what the problem is. They may see it differently and you don't want them to think you are making an ultimatum. Good Luck!
    mellonhead

Answer by mellonhead at 10:01 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Not sure what state you are in but if you put in an 8 hour day in Cali. - you are entitled to overtime, AND if you work through your lunch break, another hour of regular pay.

You need to discuss with your boss the hours you are available to work - nothing past say 6:00 pm. ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:26 PM on Oct. 12, 2010