What would you do if you found this at your babysitters house ?

I have a 7 year old son and I have a girl who watches him for a few hours a day( after school) .... At first I loved her, I bragged about her, sometimes my son doesnt want to come home......

When i would go to her house I could always smell a little bit of that dog smell ( she has 2 little dogs) she usually keeps them fenced in on her tiled floor ... but last week I had to go into the kids playroom ( she has 2 small kids too..and i usually just yell for him from the front room and he comes to me) BUT ... I went in that room and seen a dog turd on the floor... and that just disgusts me, I dont know if she just didnt see it or if she didnt pick it up or what... but now i am not sure if I want my son to go there anymore, what if my son tried to pick it up or eat it or something???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I seriously doubt a 7 year old would try to pick it up and eat it. If your child was say 1 or 2, then I think there would be a concern. She probably just didn't notice it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:31 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• That is disgusting. I am super sensitive about my daughter and would remove her from her care. The smell alone would have drove me elsewhere. My daughter does not live in filth and certainly do not want her exposed to it. If you are watching children and decide to let your pet in the house you need to be watching not only the child but the pet as well.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 9:32 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• bring it to her attention and keep looking for other signs that its not working out
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 9:35 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I would ask her about it..not rudely but i would make sure she understands why you are concerned and maybe she just missed it..by accident
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 9:43 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yeah, a 7 year old is not going to eat a turd of any kind. Maybe it had just happend? Dogs can be sneaky like that...but is the smell and general condition of her home bothers you terribly start looking for a new sitter.
    chefronswife

Answer by chefronswife at 9:58 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I would let her know it was there and assume she didn't see it....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Im sure she just hadnt seen it yet. Thats what happens sometimes when you have pets in the house. Doesnt necessarily mean her house is filthy.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• you should have brought it to her attention there. all you had to do was say "Oh (instert name) I think one of your dogs got out and had an accident in here." Then depending on her reaction would tell you what type of keeper she is. 1) if she is grossed out comes and gets it you know it was an accident or 2) if she says 'oh I forgot to get that and comes to get it you know it was still an accident, but just gross b/c she didn't pick it up. and 3) if she completely ingnors you then you have a definate answer to your sitter replacement question. But considering you didn't do this then I have to go with jeremysmom and keep an eye out for other concerns.
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 10:09 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• If it was a 1 or 2 year old, I'd pull them immediately. With a 7 year old, they know better than to handle poo. It would be a red flag for me, but one to watch for any other sign that this woman does not keep up proper sanitation, not one to pull him out immediately if he is happy and doing well there.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:22 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• is the rest of the house clean?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:33 AM on Oct. 11, 2010