How do you mom's that work overnight deal with sleeping issues?

I work 3rd shifts. I work 11pm to 6am. I then go and get my kids from my ex. I have my kids until usually 7pm. I'm scared to go to sleep because everytime I do my son is a destructive force. He knows how to unlock chains, doors, etc. To prevent him from going anywhere I did sleep in front of the door in my room & I had the tv, toys, snacks, board games, books etc for them & I try to sleep for a few hours. However my son found 1 permanent marker in my room I had for work & he drew all over my wall with it. Please note I'm living with a friend while I'm going through my divorce so that doesn't help situations at the place I'm living since I now have to repaint the wall. It's not easy to just change to day shift since I'm having a hard time finding a full time job as it is. How do you single mom's find time to sleep when you have a 3 yr old & a 4 yr old ?

LasciviousVamp

Asked by LasciviousVamp at 9:37 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It sounds like it's time to ask for/pay for some help. If you don't have any relatives willing to take the kids for a couple of hours each day so you can get some rest, put them in a preschool/ daycare type program. You may be able to get some assistance paying for it, if things are difficult for you financially.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:41 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• im not sure all i could recommend is maybe a few hours at a child care place. so you can get a few hours of slepp otherwise idk sorry
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 9:40 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I guess I should have included that. Yes things are super tight financially. Everything that can happen seems to happen. No relatives live close enough to do that, and I was looking into daycare etc. For 2 kids a friend of my ex's family charged $600 for both my kids for 2 weeks...i'm like wtf? that's 3 weeks pay for me.
    LasciviousVamp

Comment by LasciviousVamp (original poster) at 9:46 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• day care works if you can find one that is part time. Otherwise I would look into your ex taking them a little longer than normal, like dropping them off a little earlier. You need some sleep. Laying your kids down with you can work, but it will take a little while, for them to fall into naps. I would also note to make sure you are disciplining him each and every time he goes overboard with "destruction." And make sure you don't expect them to be quiet the whole time they are with you, take them to the park or something each day to help them get acquainted with when it's ok to yell and scream and be nuts.
    FinaOrlando

Answer by FinaOrlando at 9:47 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I try to take them to the park when I can usually it's moreso on my day's off. Sometimes when my friend get's off work at 4p she will take them so i can sleep, but my ex catches the bus usually at 7p and gets off at 6p and walks home & is home by 7p...I feel stuck ya know :(
    LasciviousVamp

Comment by LasciviousVamp (original poster) at 9:50 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• oops 7am to 6pm lol
    LasciviousVamp

• Have you checked with your local social services department to see about subsidized day care?

Answer by missanc at 10:00 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• They have the purchase of care which helps pay for daycare and all that but when I was reading it, it was asking about child support and all that. My kids live at my ex's house but spend the night with me on my days off & i have them for pretty much half the day. Currently him & i don't ask each other for money we just take care of the kids and buy them what they need, and communicate that.
    LasciviousVamp

Comment by LasciviousVamp (original poster) at 10:05 AM on Oct. 11, 2010