Does your 4 and a half year old nap?

Everyday? Only some days? For the napping children, what is their routine like (like, what time are they up, bedtime, etc.) Never?

madelyns_momma

Asked by madelyns_momma at 9:38 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• NEVER. Napping stops (and should stop) right around 3 1/2 to 4 yo. Now if your child must wake up at 5:30am so you can go to work, but will need to stay awake until 9-10, then YES a nap is appropriate. At 4 1/2 a child should be sleeping from about 8pm until about 7-8am. 11-12 hrs is all they need, if they get less than that, a nap should follow. But each child is different. Let your child show you. (for example, if he/she naps and won't sleep at night).
    FinaOrlando

Answer by FinaOrlando at 9:43 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• my ds will be 5 next month and still occasionally naps... in fact he took one on friday
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 9:56 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Nope. MY 4 1/2yr old stopped taking naps by the time he was 2. Some days I WISH he would take a nap, then I could get a few more things done around the house.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 10:16 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My 4 yr old dd still needs naps, if she doesn't get one on time she is falling asleep by 5. She gets between 10 - 11 hours sleep at night.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:18 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yes - my son will be 5 in 9 days and he still needs a nap most days. I usually just go by his ques - it's easy to tell when he needs to lay down and he'll fall asleep very quickly. My 3 1/2 year old, though, seems to be growing out of naps faster than him. She will lay down for a bit when it's "nap time" but most days she isn't successful at falling asleep. When she doesn't nap, she's ready for bed by 7pm sharp. All of our kids are in bed by 7:30 or 8pm anyway.
    workathomemama

Answer by workathomemama at 10:39 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My son just turned 4 last week and for the last year we've been doing 'quiet time' instead of naps. He MUST lay down and watch a movie or read books. If he falls asleep -- great., if he doesn't -- oh well. He does get cranky in the evenings but those are the days he'll ask his daddy to go to bed at 8.
    mommareynolds09

Answer by mommareynolds09 at 10:40 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Not unless I physically drag her to her bed and threaten to spank her if she leaves it.  So...just about never.  She might nap once or twice a month on days my husband is home because he forces her to go lie down.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:26 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• We did away with naps when she was a little over 3. I was fighting with her to take one, and on the days that she would, I was fighting with her to go to bed that night. Since she was actually nice and not grumpy on the afternoons I let her skip, I just stopped putting her down for naps. Now here lately, she'll nap in the car on the way home from work on days I have to work, but I'm getting her up at 6 in the morning so we can get to work on time. And it's only a half hour commute home, so she doesn't fight me when it's time for bed.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 11:57 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yes, my daughter did at that age. She took a one hour nap in the early afternoon. Bedtime was (and is) 8pm (we didn't/don't have bedtime problems). She also napped at age 5 - let's face it, kindergarten is a busy and active time. She attended morning kindergarten, came home and had lunch, and then a one hour nap (although by this time it had shifted to quiet time lying down with books). We phased out naps over this past summer, as we prepared for first grade!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:05 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Never. Stop taking naps around 2 years. :(
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 5:10 PM on Oct. 11, 2010