No wonder there are kids getting kidnapped and worse!

Have some mothers taken complete leave of their senses?

1. You have a fenced in back yard but you choose to let your 2-3 yr old pay 10 ft from the street while you sit on your rear in the front room. You really think that you can get to her fast enough thru the door even though you can see her thru the window!?!

2. I went to Covered Bridge Festival (over 1.5 million ppl every year) and watched a woman leave a baby that was MAYBE 5 months in the stroller facing the walkway, outside the booth while she went around back of the booth to make a bottle. She did this twice! I stayed there just in case someone would try to take the baby. I thought about pushing it further into the booth but you know that I'd be the one getting accused of trying to abduct it.

Do people not care about the safety of their children anymore? Do they not realize that society has changed?

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 10:15 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• WOW! I have to touch the baby when I have my back turned from him. I keep my older children (ages 5 and 3 1/2) right by my side when we go somewhere also. I'm paranoid.
    The thing about playing in the yard... ours aren't even allowed in the front yard. I mean, get real... things happen. People run off the road sometimes... I don't want it to be my front yard they run into and hit my child.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 10:18 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Not everyone is like that. I, for one, never let my son out of my reach. My worst fear is losing him, and I know that kidnapping happen in seconds. I would never risk it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:20 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I hear ya I can't believe some people. When I was working, there ws a child maybe 5 yrs old walking around the store by himself during the Holiday season while it was BUSY like crazy. I kept an eye on the child to see if he would go to the adults near by but he never did so I told the manager of my area (since I was busy ringing up customers) that the child seemed to be alone and asked her to help him. He wouldn't really talk to her, so I left my register and talked to the child and I finally got him to trust me by nicely talking and joking with him. I took him to the back of the store and had them call the parents over the speaker and stayed with the child until I knew he was safe. Can you believe the parent did not come over scared to death but angry and yelling/cursing at the child like it was his fault. Saying thats what you get and all. I couldnt believe it, broke my heart. no wonder he was scared.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 10:23 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Honestly I think parents have that mentality that "oh it's not going to happen to me". Society is so horrible today. I am super protective and paranoid with my kids. When we are out they are with me at all times. Even when I let my kids play in the backyard, I'm constantly watching out the window, or going out to check on them. Yes there is a 10 ft fence and there is plenty of room to play, but so much can happen, and kids get into anything.

Some parents are lazy, some are careless, and some just have honest wtf moments. We all make mistakes, but certain things are definitely common sense. And overall when you are out in public you can't trust people, which is sad honestly.
    LasciviousVamp

Answer by LasciviousVamp at 10:23 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• my 2 year old can go in the backyard, and can play on her swingset, but it's right in front of the window,..it helps me so i can get the living room and kitchen cleaned up....of course i check on her every 3 minutes, or less, i'm a paranoid parent in that i worry that something will happen to her and i won't hear her crying....a fenced backyard is not going to stop a kidnapper if they want my child that badly. when we're out, she's either in the cart, or holding my hand.....she knows she not allowed in the front yard, unless we are out there with her, and even then i don't want her out there.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 10:26 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I have been yelled at by strangers for being to far away from my stroller. But in reality the huge crowd around the stroller all all mine. Plus teenagers. It bugs me when I look out and see little ones in the street. Moms get lax, and some dont see it as an issue. I see a neighbor child always climbing on top of her swingset. On the very top of the bar. That bugs me.
    martinmommy26

Answer by martinmommy26 at 10:51 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I completely understand where you are coming from! I do my best to not leave my kids alone for even a split second while we are out in public. There was a lady at our local mall that let her 2 daughters (I would say oldest around 9 and youngest around 5) play in the place place with no other supervision but each other. The thing that floored me the most was that it was during the summer -- and very busy in both the mall and the play place and she hollered "Watch your sister while I go do some shopping!" Really?? One of my friends called mall security and a security guard came and got the kids. When the mom came back she looked around and just walked off. I cannot say what was on her mind, but she surely didn't look very panicked! And didn't ask a single one of us that was in there what happened.
    mommareynolds09

Answer by mommareynolds09 at 11:03 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• People honestly don't think anymore .. The whole country doesn't think about anything anymore. It amazes me.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:06 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Some parents don't care where there child be going, Some don't have time for any children, Sometimes I wonder why they have children
    MrsOkpataku

Answer by MrsOkpataku at 11:18 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Maybe they don't interpret the same risk you do.  My youngest daughter has been playing outside with her older siblings since she was 2 1/2 while I did things in the house (not even looking out the windows).  I never had a problem with it.  She knew to stay away from the street (and it was a lot closer than 10 feet to the curb, more like 5').  In fact she was always the one to remind the older kids to stay away from the street, including the kids across the street who didn't seem to understand the concept of staying out of it.  She would yell across for them to get out of the road.  She's now 4 1/2 and knows how to cross a street and goes all over the place with her older siblings (who are 8, 9 and 10).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:18 AM on Oct. 11, 2010