Is it wrong for Christians to be against homosexuality?

If their religious text speaks against it, do you expect them to be for it? I have nothing against gay people or gay marriage, BUT I'm not a Christian, nor do I belong to any specific religion. I don't believe it's a sin, because I don't believe it's a choice. However, I see so many Christians getting bashed for being against gay marriage. Aren't they being true to what the Bible says in that area (at least those that translate it a such)? I'm not defending what the Bible or Christians say about homosexuality, I'm just curious...do you think that Christians should ignore that part of what the Bible says? Or should they try to follow everything that their religion teaches?

I don't expect someone to deny what their religion teaches. The problem I have is when they want to make laws that affect everyone based on that religion.

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 10:18 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Religious Debate

• The bible says a LOT of stuff that people don't currently follow. The biggest problem that I have with people that are anti-gay and use religion as the excuse just come across as hypocrites. You have no room to bible thump and try to force one guideline on people if you're not going to follow the other teachings with the same level of conviction.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 10:21 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• The bible says a LOT of stuff that people don't currently follow. The biggest problem that I have with people that are anti-gay and use religion as the excuse just come across as hypocrites. You have no room to bible thump and try to force one guideline on people if you're not going to follow the other teachings with the same level of conviction. "

I agree completely. But still...there are some devout Christians who DO try to follow everything the Bible says. What about them?
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 10:23 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• And at the same time...couldn't they be seen as hypocrites if they preach against other sins, but are okay with homosexuality (considering according to the Bible homosexuality is wrong)?
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 10:26 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It comes down to them judging others when they themselves are just as much of a sinner. The difference.....most christians will/would fight for the sin of homosexuality to be legislated against. That is wrong, I don't care what religion you are.
    If one believes being gay is a "sin" and wrong...thats fine. But don't stand there pointing fingers at all the gays, trying to dictate how they should lives their lives. God is only existant to those who believe in him....and our laws should be not contingent upon that god.
    The other side of it is this....if you believe being gay is a "sin", yet believe we ar ALL sinners, then quit the judging of ONLY gays. As it only contributes to the violence and abuse gays are being subjected too. If you believe it's "bad" then go hide yourself in a closet...don't expect OTHERS to hide in a closet to live up to your gods "standards".
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:29 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• who cares if they are against it or not, its not going to change anything.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:30 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• They are free to not have a gay partner. Beyond that their rights end where others begin. They are not entitled to that opinion for anyone but themselves.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:30 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Ditto NP and zoeyis.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:31 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• In all honesty, I would think that is a certain faith teaches something and a person takes it upon him/herself to ignore that teaching, it's a bit hypocritical. Of course all of us want to give a positive image of our faiths, but hey, certain ideas and values are what they are and it's false and hypocritical to just ignore them because someone will think we're fanatic jerks. I think it's disrespectful to one's faith to pretend PCness at the expense of negating its teachings and values. If you honestly think your religion got it wrong there, shouldn't you be reconsidering your faith rather than changing it to suit your needs?

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:33 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I agree with all of you. I guess what I was getting at, when I found myself disagreeing with some of them, is...can I really blame them? Can I expect them to stray from what the Bible teaches? My mom is a Christian and is fine with gay marriage. She also does not believe that homosexuality is a choice, so I know that not all Christians believe the same. She's all for everyone having happiness, so that's further reason why she is fine with gay marriage.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

"

Excellent insight. This is what I was trying to say, in regards to those whose religions teaches as such.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 10:35 AM on Oct. 11, 2010