Have you ever volunteered to be a tutor?

The company I work for sponsors one of the local elementary schools, and has a general open policy that allows any employees that want to the time to go and volunteer and tutor at the school. So I've cleared some time with my supervisor and I've contacted the school, and I've made arrangements to go in today. I'm nervous and excited. I LOVE learning! I would absolutely love to be able to help encourage others to get excited about education.

Anyway, have you ever volunteered to tutor? Any tips or suggestions? It's been a long time since I've been around 3rd to 5th graders (all the little kids in my family are still <2, and everyone else is out of high school), and it's been a long damn time since _I_ was that age.

coder_chick

Asked by coder_chick at 10:18 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, I tutored reading at our local elementary for awhile, and I loved it. I had a great time with the kids, and felt like I helped some of them learn to love books and reading as much as I do, instead of struggling with it.
    My only advice is to relax and have fun!!! The kids will respond to you!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:23 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I helped with reading. It was great - most of what I did was just listen to them read and help them with words that they struggled with.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:30 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I think I'm mostly nervous about possible language barrier. The people I have talked to said they usually need help with math and reading, both are no problem, however most of the kids (I've been told) are newish immigrants that speak spanish. I know it's not a problem that I don't speak spanish, but sometimes I have a difficult time understanding people with heavy accents. (There was a guy I worked with a while ago with a heavy asian accent, and try as I did I could not understand him at all. It was embarassing to me to always ask him to repeat.) I suspect my biggest problem is the volume that many people with asian and indian accents speak. So often they're so quiet. I truely don't want to offend anyone, because I know it's more a problem with my hearing.
    coder_chick

Comment by coder_chick (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Oct. 11, 2010