is it unusual for a young child to get headaches?

my 4 year old has been complaining of headaches since she was old enough to say "hegache". it's usually after school, when she's tired and hungry. yesterday we were at busch gardens all day, she said she had a headache about an hour before we left and eventually threw up in the car on the way home. she didn't have to walk much because i had her stroller. that's the first time she's actually thrown up from a headache, though.
and i know it wasn't from the rides or food, she didn't eat much at the park.

my mom suffered migraines up until she got a hysterectomy and no longer had periods. i only suffered migraines while on bc, but i get tension headaches just about everyday.

is it possible to pass on this nasty trait to your child? after i gave her a little bit of motrin yesterday, she was back to her usual active self.

have you ever heard of a 2-4 year old getting headaches?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 10:22 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes. Migraines can 'run' in families. My oldest son had migraines as a child. They began when he was 3. She needs evaluation be her Dr. We were told by a dietician to eliminate dairy and red food dye. We did and he never had another migraine again. Allergies or intolerances can trigger them. Blood sugar imbalances can also trigger them.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:28 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It is unusual, and I would take her to the doctor. My middle son got headaches at a very young age, we didn't realize what was going on until he could tell us, but he would occasionally even as a toddler "act up", and then throw up later....as he got older he would tell us his head hurt.

He actually had a dairy allergy, but there can be many causes, talk to her pediatrician about it.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:26 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I didn't think it was normal for kids to get headaches, it really cvoncerned me that my 6 yr old was getting them but when I asked his doctor she told me its actually very normal for kids to suffer from headaches especially if it runs in the family. Parents magazine also had an article about it.
    n03z07l08

Answer by n03z07l08 at 10:26 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• no actually its not unusual. They have children's tylenol you can give them for things like that.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 10:27 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Get a cat scan done on her asap her symptoms don't sound good. At 12 years old my son was having headaches and throwing up we had no clue what was causing it. It turned out that he had an A.V.M and had suffered three brain hemorrhage's.
    Darla47

Answer by Darla47 at 10:44 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I would definately take her to the dr and make an eye dr appt as well. It could be hereditary or something else more serious..or it could be something as simple as needing glasses.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:49 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I would definitely discuss it with her doctor. Its not normal. There could a structural issue in her brain causing the headaches, oher health problems in her body triggering headaches, or even food sensativities setting off migraine. I had tons of headaches as a child. Suffered horribly. It wasn't until I was in highschool did the frequency drop. When I was out of school I almst stopped having them completely. I found out my accident a few years later by accident that I was sensative to soy products, by consuming a handful of soynuts and getting laid on the floor at work. It was the high soy foods at school that was problem as a kid
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:51 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• She could need glasses.
    And not eating much can lead to throwing up, as well as exhaustion, the heat, etc.
    Needing glasses can cause headaches as well as a number of other things. Anyone can get a headache regardless of what age they are. Just take her in to the doctor and have her checked out.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:04 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It happens. I suffered from major headaches as a young child. Like the PP aid she may need glasses, after I got glasses my headaches virtually disappeared.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• it's not that common, but first start with getting her to drink more water. A common reason for most headaches is dehydration. Our bodies in our society never seen to get quite enough.
    If that's not the case and doesn't help after a week, consult your doctor. It could be vision or other worse medical problems.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2010