Melatonin

I would like to know if any of you moms out there have taken Melatonin while you were pregnant. I can't sleep without it and want to hear other moms experiences while taking it during pregnancy and mainly was your baby okay.

cedinoc

Asked by cedinoc at 10:26 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My doctor recommended me taking Tylenol Simply Sleep instead. Since a lot of supplements are not regulated by the FDA, their ingredients can vary from bottle to bottle. He would rather that I take a OTC medication than the supplement.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:32 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My doctor recommended one benedryl at bedtime to help me sleep through my second and third trimesters. My son is healthy. No one ever discussed melatonin with me. Probably for the reason Jadenmom07 mentioned.
    MarianneTv

Answer by MarianneTv at 10:45 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i was also told to take simply sleep or benedryl instead for the same reason as the pp
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:45 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I love melatonin too but benadryl was recommended by doc when I was pregnat.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 10:46 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Natural doesn't mean safe during pregnancy. Melatonin alters your brain chemistry. It does so in a way that is pretty harmless for a grown person with a fully developed brain, but I would not have my baby be a guinea pig to see how it affects the brain development of a baby in utero.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:47 AM on Oct. 11, 2010