Anyone have a good but simple recipe for Red beans & Rice? (without meat)

Hi I'm looking for a simple receipe for red beans and rice but I've been finding a lot that have meat..

gotfavor

Asked by gotfavor at 10:49 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Red beans and rice is SO simple. (This coming from a married in coonass with 'swamp people' extended family)
    You need the 'Trinity' - onion, celery, green bell pepper, chopped and sauteed.
    You need red kidney beans, soaked, sorted, and rinsed.
    Put the beans, trinity, and some liquid in a big stock pot. Depending on how you like it (from soupy to almost just beans) adjust the liquid. Don't worry, you can add more later.

Now...one of the big flavor points is the pork product (fatback, salt pork, or bacon). I'm assuming you're veggie, so you're gonna have to work a little harder for flavor. I always have cilantro, chili powder, cayenne, Tony's, sri racha, bay leaves, oregano, and a bit of fennel. This is almost a blank canvas, you can spice it however you want, but I'm a fan of SPICY.

Bring to a boil, cover, drop to low, and simmer for 3-4 hours. When the beans are super tender, take out a cup or so and smash them
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:02 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Vegetarian Red Bean Chili, New Orleans Style
    Serves 4 to 6
    Ingredients:
    * 1 pound dried red beans
    * 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    * 2 medium yellow onions, finely chopped
    * 2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
    * 2 fresh jalapeño chilies, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
    * 1 fresh long green (Anaheim) chili, stemmed and finely chopped
    * 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
    * 1 tablespoon ground cumin
    * 6 cups water
    * 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
    * 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
    * 1/2 tablespoon salt
    * 3/4 teaspoon white pepper
    * 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    * Steamed white rice, for serving
    * Tabasco sauce, for serving
    akmccarty

Answer by akmccarty at 10:53 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Directions:

1. In a medium-sized saucepan, put the beans and enough cold water to cover them by at least 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat. Continue boiling briskly for 5 minutes; then, remove the pan from the heat and leave the beans to soak for 1 hour. Drain and rinse well. Set the beans aside.

2. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, chilies, and celery and sauté until the onions are transparent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the cumin and sauté 1 minute longer.

3. Add the beans, the 6 cups of water, the tomatoes, cilantro, salt, pepper, and oregano. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer gently until the beans are very tender, 2 to 3 hours, stirring occasionally and adding more water if necessary to keep the beans covered.

4. Serve the beans over steamed rice, passing Tabasco sauce for guests to add fire to individual servings as desired.

akmccarty

Answer by akmccarty at 10:55 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• then dump them back in. Do this especially if you feel it's a bit thin, as the starches from the beans will release into the liquid and thicken it up.
    Serve over white rice. For real coonass flavor, serve with a squeeze bottle of plain ole white vinegar at the table.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:03 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Well the way we make ours is let the beans sit in water over night
    Next morning through in some pork or turkey neck creole and cajun seasoning
    Let boil on low heat for two hours
    After the first hour throw in some sliced boiled sausage
    Last 15 minutes kick the heat up
    make your rice and serve as you like.
    Ms.Maaamaof2

Answer by Ms.Maaamaof2 at 11:04 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Oh, here's something else. You don't HAVE to use red kidney beans. I make the same recipe for whatever I have on hand. I've used kidney beans, black beans, chili beans (which are just spiced kidney beans) white beans. Also, you can TOTALLY use canned beans. I do it all the time. Just don't strain them and rinse them. Dump them straight into the pot. The juice helps with flavor, but if you are concerned with flatulence, I would rinse them.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 11:07 AM on Oct. 11, 2010