SunChips

Did you know that SunChips is ditching their compostable bags because " it's noisy, and American consumers just can't handle all that crinkling and crackling as they munch on their chips".

Are you kidding me??? Seriously, people are bothered that much by how noisy the bag is? It was a noisy bag and I didn't care for the sound too much, but that didn't stop me from buying them. The chips are still yummy! I love that the bags were compostable. We put them in our composter at home and watched them break down. I'm sad that they are getting rid of the bags and for such a silly reason.

akmccarty

Asked by akmccarty at 10:49 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Food & Drink

• people really suck sometimes.. The sound bothers you? put your chips in a bowl, sheesh
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:51 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I have one of those bags and they are noisy, but it did not bother me that much.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 10:53 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My husband can't resist touching those bags when we are in the grocery store. I agree that it is a shame, but it is a business and they have to do what the consumers want. Maybe they will be able to do something else that helps the Earth.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:53 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I think any bag of potato chips makes a considerable amount of noise. I like the sunchips product but I thought the environmental friendly bag was a good idea. Oh well, it's a shame it didn't go over well.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 11:33 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• The bags are very noisy but I can live with it considering the fact that it is an earth friendly bag
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 11:42 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It is a shame that the sound of the bag has been made an issue!

Perhaps there is a compromise where Sunchips can use a quieter bag that is still compostable?
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 11:58 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I don't blame the company. After all, they have a business to run, and when consumers want something, it's in the company's best interest to provide it.

I blame consumers who are more pre-occupied with how noisy the bags are (which, they are really noisy, to be honest) than whether or not that bag will be in a landfill for the next several HUNDRED years.

BTW, they're not getting rid of ALL their compostable bags. Original flavor will still have them. Just all the other flavors are going back to the regular non-compostable bags.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I think some people just need a reason to bitch. Noisy bag? Really. That's just stupid.
    MountainMomma3

Answer by MountainMomma3 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I'm not going to lie, it's really hard to sneak sunchips when I get home from work at midnight while trying to keep quiet :) I still think it's worth it for them to be a little more green. Bummer!
    TarraJoy

Answer by TarraJoy at 1:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I agree ,I was delighted when they made the switch to the bio bag and totally confused when they announced this change.I want to ask what is going on peoples lives that a louder crinkly chip bag is worth complaining to the company about.Clearly my life is too boring because it is no big deal here.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 3:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2010