Is it normal to be terrified of giving birth?

I have never been pregnant, and have been TTC for about 3 months. Although I love the idea of having kids, the thought of actually HAVING them is absolutely terrifying to me. I also like the idea of a home water birth, but of course that would involve no pain medication and I am just so scared of the whole process. Is this normal? What can I do to become more comfortable with the idea?

bwill626

Asked by bwill626 at 10:53 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I think it is pretty normal, although for me it didn't kick in until I was 6 months pregnant and like OMG this is going to hurt. But when it was over I didn't think it was as bad as people make it out to be.

Read up on natural childbirth methods. Not all women find it to be extremely painful and your mental preparation makes a huge difference in how you percieve the experience, in many ways but including your perception of the pain involved.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:56 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It is normal. It is perfectly normal. It's important to talk yourself into it. That's what I had to do.
    It's all about staying focued on everything but the pain. That means breathing through them and focusing on the breathing. It's important to focus on anything but the pain, because the more your focus on the pain the more your body exaggerates it in your head. It is painful, but it can be ignored, believe me.

Just trust yourself that you'll do an amazing job and there isn't any gain without a little pain and hard work.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:58 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Of course it is normal. People are often terrified, intruiged or just plain scared of the unknown. You do not know what to expect, yea you may have heard stories but you have yet to experience it first hand. Just relax and enjoy this journey its absolutely nothing to be scared of.Trust me, been there done that and soon you will too.
    KayGia0704

Answer by KayGia0704 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• o its totally normal to be scared to death ...you can watch videos....read books...talk to other moms..i had my 1st child when i was 18 14 yrs ago..i didnt know anything and everything scared me but i was fine..taking a tour of the hosp.. helped alot if you do plan on doing a hosp birth..theres some really great groups on here to just search up diff things.. if you want to talk you can message me..ive had 8 babies 1 normal birth no drugs,2 iv drugs,2epis,1spinal,1miscarry n 1 emeg. csect..
    mommyny6

Answer by mommyny6 at 10:59 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It is totally normal to be scared of actually giving birth. I was scared myself when I was pregnant with our 6-1/2-months old son. We took Prepared Childbirth Class offered by the hospital at which I was going to deliver, and it helped me feel better because I had a better idea of what to expect during child birth. It also helped me decide on some things. I think that epidural is the way to go. I didn't feel any pain except that it was difficult to push and that was about it. Good luck and Congratulations!!!
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 11:00 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• When a woman never had children before yes it is normal to get scared
    MrsOkpataku

Answer by MrsOkpataku at 11:00 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Terrified? Hmmm. I am sure we are all a bit nervous about giving birth but when you think about the billions of women who have given birth, you are in good company.It is not a rare disease...LOL..it is just having a baby. I had three kids. Before my first,I got books and talked with friends ...even read a textbook about labor and delivery. It helps to know everything you can and then the fear disappears. NOT knowing is what frightens women. It will be fine. And the experience only lasts for a matter of hours and you DO forget it soon. HAving a baby is so rewading that you can put up with anything,believe me. My first was complicated---placental abruption and high blood pressure,etc. but it all worked out fine. And 15 months later I had my second baby with no complications,after being at the hospital for 55 minutes! WooHoo! And pain can be managed through relaxation or sedatives or medications.
    Don't be terrified
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:02 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Perfectly normal.

Go research natural birth stories. Natural labor methods. Ina May's Guide to Childbirth.

The more you know, the less you fear. READ EVERYTHING!!!!! Research labor positions, coping methods, and anything else. Become an expert on childbirth and become empowered.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:02 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I'm also going through the same situation because im a first time mommy-to-be...what helped me become more calm and relaxed to the idea of giving birth was ive been reading a lot of books, watching documentaries, and educating myself on all the options for pain medication and their side affects. This has helped me tremendously because i get to have some-what an idea of whats going to happen. It may not be how my delivery will go but watching and reading other people's stories helped get me into the "im guna make it " mode lol I hope this helps! :) **Good Luck**
    joymoon87

Answer by joymoon87 at 11:46 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It's normal everyone gets scare and after I was induced and I ended up with a c-section after a day and 1/2 with contraction that is to get scared but that hopefully won't happen to you and I would recomed you to get an epidural
    krystal2010

Answer by krystal2010 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2010