To vaccinate or not to...

Has your daughter received the vaccination GARDISAL? Are you happy that she got it or do you have any regrets. I am debating weather or not for my daughters to get it. They are 15 and soon to be 13. If your dd did get it were there any major side effects. Their doctor recommends but is not pressuring it. Thanks for any input on my question.

Annasofia

Asked by Annasofia at 10:56 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I wouldn't. THAT is the ONE vaccine I HAVE heard bad things about.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:58 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My sister had it and didnt have any side effects. your doctor should be able to tell you any side effects and the possibility that they may happen.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 11:07 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I'd encourage you to do LOTS of research on that one, there have been lots of reported side effects and adverse reactions
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:07 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• my dd is only 4 but she will not be getting it when she's older
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:23 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• There may have been a few adverse reactions... but cervical cancer is lethal and difficult to detect.

Are you willing to bet your daughters LIFE on the fact that she won't have an infected partner? It only takes one infected partner to get the virus.
    You're willing to bet that your daughter will only ever have sex with one person, and that other person will only eer have sex with her?

That's a lot of trust to put in the rest of the world....
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 11:31 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My two daughters will be getting it when they are old enough. Mostly for the reasons Piskie noted. I don't care if there are a few side affects if it could potentially save their life. I have had two family members die from cervical cancer and several more females in my family that have HPV. It happens...why wouldn't you do everything possible to protect your girls?
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:41 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• When one of friend's refused to get it for their daughter and they both being gp Doctors.....No way am I getting it for my daughter.
    On this one, the risk does outweigh the so called safeguard of the vaccine.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I refuse to get it. It has been in the UK for years so a lot of research has been done on it. It only lasts for 5 years yet there is no booster. And the average age for a woman to develop HPV is in her 30s. So I see no point. Plus all the deaths and infertility that is linked to it is far too great for me.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 1:13 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My daughter's pediatrician has been pressuring me to get the damn thing for my daughter since she was 9. There is NO WAY IN HELL she will ever get the shot. Do the research yourself (your doctors will downplay the dangers) and learn of the many risks associated with the shot itself.
    Anonymous

• Neither of my daughters have gotten it and they are both teens. I leave the decision up to them when they turn 18 but I won't be recommending it. There hasn't been enough research, it hasn't been in use long enough, and it doesn't protect against enough of the causes of cervical cancer to outweigh the risks associated with it. Personally I think it's just another way for the drug companies to get some more money off us all.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 2:30 PM on Oct. 11, 2010