Does anyone have any ideas on how to get marker off of wooden cabinet doors?

It seems like I have tried everything, it just wont come off

Plum419

Asked by Plum419 at 10:58 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Don't use a Magic Eraser! It discolored some of my wood furniture.
    akmccarty

Answer by akmccarty at 11:00 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• What type of marker? I work at an animal shelter, and often we have permanent marker on things we don't want it to stay on (because dry erase erases too easily, but we need to write something.) Alcohol (like rubbing alcohol) works great to remove permanent from most surfaces. I use baby wipes to remove marker from my table at home. It works great on hard surfaces, but wood that isn't sealed soaks up marker, so sanding it is about the only way I know of to remove it. GL!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 11:01 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Try this stuff called De-Solv-it. It's an all natural citrus cleaner that I found at Wal-Mart. I've used it on adhesive and permanent marker and it works great. I haven't used it on wood, but I don't think it would hurt....you might try a hidden area of the piece first.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 11:04 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Try toothpaste by dabbing it on and leaving it on for about 5 minutes and then wipe clean. Let us know how that one worked.
    Annasofia

Answer by Annasofia at 11:04 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It's more like pressed board, or whatever they call it. I tried the rubbing alcohol, and that didn't work :( It was just a regular crayola marker!
    Here's a pic:
    DSC_0546.jpg picture by MrsS_06

Plum419

Comment by Plum419 (original poster) at 11:20 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Try a pencil eraser, or a white plastic eraser. I've had good luck with them in the past.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:29 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Just curious...did you get out the marker?
    Annasofia

Answer by Annasofia at 3:37 PM on Oct. 13, 2010