Where can I find a pediatrician who will let ME make decisions about my baby?

Her current pediatrician is fighting me regarding vaccinations. I don't want her to have three vaccinations in particular (Rotovirus, Chicken Pox and Hep B), because I feel that they are unneccesary, and that excessive vaccinations could be toxic/dangerous. She has been very combative with me on this issue. I just need a pediatrician who will work with me.

snakemama

Asked by snakemama at 11:03 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Set up appointments with every ped you can find. Most will do this for free. Make a list of questions to ask. Don't let them know how you feel. Get their opinions on everything you believe to be important. When one answers all your questions to your liking..Voila, your new ped. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:06 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i am not sure where you live but i would ask around and sometimes some ped. let you interview them before going in as a patient. not sure but sometimes they do that. just hold to your guns. on our last visit my dd ped wanted her to get the flu vaccine.i do not want it this season do to h1n1. i am not even getting it for myself so why would give it to my daughter. they try to convince you but just hold to your guns. they can't give your child any vaccines with out your consent so don't worry about it. if you really want to change just ask around. not sure how old your little one is. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 11:09 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Interview other pediatricians until you find someone who is either on the same page as you, or will respect your informed decisions when you are not on the same page. It took me several months to find a new doc when our ped left his practice, but the time and effort put in to the search was well worth it to have a doctor that I have mutual trust and respect with.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:14 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I hope you find somebody you can mesh better with but remember also that the pediatrician is trained to always advocate for her patient. She is doing what she thinks is right and that makes her a very good physician.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:28 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• You don't need a pediatrician, you can also interview family general practitioners.

A good doctor offers their opinion and recommendation but should never argue or badger or fight a patient. Some of them are under pressure to push vaccinations. My family doctor Iwho is a D.O. Thinks the rotovirus and chicken pox are a waste of time and money. He has his recommendations, he is honest with what he is supposed to push, and ultimately leaves it up to me. I do selective and delayed
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:36 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Ask local natural moms found through attachment and natural parenting groups who they recommend!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 11:47 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• So you prefer a doctor that is less educated and will be lazy and ok with you preference to follow antictotal bull shit from a bunch of fear mongerers that lack even basic understanding of science?
    Anonymous

• I would matter of factly tell this doctor that you have made up your mind on this issue, and if she continues to try to change your mind, you will be going to a different doctor.

Anon, what's so wrong with wanting a doctor who is not LAZY, but RESPECTFUL?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• it's anecdotal - and you are talking about someone being less educated??
    Anonymous

• K I UNDERSTAND THE OTHER VACCINES BUT ROTOVIRUS!! MY DD GOT ROTOVIRUS 8 TIMES IN 2 YRS. THEY DIDNT OFFER IT IN WHERE I LIVED WHEN SHE WAS A BABY AND SHE NEVER GOT IT. DO YOU KNOW HOW BAD IT GETS. MY DD WOULD THROW UP 20 TIMES A DAY FOR A REW DAY, SEVERE DIAHRREA AND ENDED UP IN THE HOSPITAL 6 TIMESC CUZ OF SEVERE DEHYDRATION. IT WAS BAD, SHE WOULD PROJECTILE VOMIT. BUT IF YOU WANT TO DEAL WITH THAT. THEN I HOPE YOUR READY FOR PUKE AND POOP TO BE ALL OVER YOUR HOUSE.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2010