When you were younger...

...did you ever want to just up and leave, without telling anyone?

I remember when I was about 18 or 19 years old, I wanted to pack up my car with some clothes and drive from Denver, CO to Portland, OR or Seattle, WA without saying anything to anybody, taking only my cell phone (the "brick" Nokia phone typical of nearly everyone using T-Mobile in 1999/2000).

I often wonder where my life would be right now if I followed through with that plan. Before getting married and finding my life/soul mate, I still wanted to do this.

Was there ever a time you wanted to do this?

_Tam_

Asked by _Tam_ at 11:13 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Travel

• Absolutely. Definitely at about 18, and then at different times during my life, I've just wanted to "start fresh", it could have been exciting and positive before I got married and had kids, but I'm glad I never did it later!!!! My husband and I did just up and move to Wyoming from Los Angeles, 8 years ago.....taking our kids of course, and it was a wonderful adventure, but I made the mistake of telling my mom and she followed us.........no real escape in that!!!! We're back in Los Angeles, and happy to be home again......
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:18 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I might have thought I did, but in reality, I didn't. I would have been too homesick to make it after one night.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:26 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I have wanted to leave, but not quite in that manner. Starting when I was about 10 I wanted to just get on a bus and go to my Mom's house. I just wanted to pack up and leave. I had no intention of telling my dad where I was going. I never did because I was too afraid of getting spanked when he figured it out.

I have many times wanted to stop the world and get off for a while. Today would be a good day for that.
    kerijeanbean

Answer by kerijeanbean at 12:05 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• not much to see from denver to portland.I live in portland and my daughter in denver takes about 18hrs driving.I ve wanted to go to new york since i was achild,45 and still not made it-maybe someday
    slyvester

Answer by slyvester at 4:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yes,
    When I was 16 My bff and I thought we'd pack up my car and head from New England to anywhere when we turned 18, but when I was 17 I got knocked up and by the time I was 18 I was a mommy so my plans sort of changed.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 6:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• No, I didn't think about it when I was younger but I have recently thought about it...sometimes I get so overwhelmed and just want to find a small town up in the mountains and live in seclusion for awhile...LOL.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 6:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yes! I think I am part gypsy anyway ...

tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:47 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• sometimes I get so overwhelmed and just want to find a small town up in the mountains and live in seclusion for awhile...LOL.
    ---
    Try Evergreen, CO. =)
    _Tam_

Comment by _Tam_ (original poster) at 5:17 PM on Oct. 12, 2010