TMI? I don't know

When I delivered my son, now 2, I developed hemerroids. They haven't bothered me since. The past couple of weeks though have been unbearable. The Tucks and witch hazel pads I used before aren't working now. Is there anything else I can do short of calling the doctor?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Health

• Try some Preparation H, and take a stool softener so you don't have to strain to have a BM (colace is a good stool softener). But I think I would call the doctor, since I would wonder why they were so painful all of a sudden. I developed the same problem in delivery, and mine only bother me if I am constipated and have to strain, or if I have diarrhea and am going a lot. Sorry if that was really graphic... lol...
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:03 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Prep. H or Anusol either one are good OTC choices. As long as you aren't seeing a lot of bright red blood the Dr will essentailly tell you the same thing. High Fiber diet, stool softner, and OTC meds.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• try using a squat position to make a bm. use phone books, or stools by the toilet, with your feet on them, panties at your ankles, knees wide open, and then relax. If you are constipated, try miralax. mixes w/ anything, and is undetectable in flavor and texture! good luck. and if you have no improvement or still have nagging feeling something is not quite right, make an appt and see you dr.
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 9:52 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• Plenty of rest, motrin (mild anti-inflammatory), plenty of liquids (especially water), plenty of fiber. If you are constipated, use a mild laxative, like Miralax. There are over the counter creams too, such as Preparation H and Anusol that can help as well. If these don't help, get thee to a doctor; there are many conditions that masquerade as hemorrhoids, so it's worth it to get checked out if the pain is not getting relieved.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 2:15 AM on Oct. 27, 2008