I've never had to do this, should I drop the client?

I am so greatful for my clients, so I feel bad doing this. I need some insight here. I have this one client who has me do things to her hair and she ALWAYS goes home and decides that she isn't happy later. I'm apprehensive to do her hair anymore. And I feel like no matter what I do she'll not be happy. I'm scared to do anymore. Her hair is not healthy from all the stuff she wants done. Constantly going between dark and very light. I don't have issues with other clients doing this. Should I send her a dear John letter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• Drop her... You need to protect yourself first. If her hair isnt healthy and you do something she wants but shouldnt be done you get yourself in trouble. On the other hand she might just be trying to get her hair done for free each time. Good luck. Talk to your manager about it
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 11:31 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I would,yes

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:22 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I would not send a letter. Just explain to her next time she calls that you won't be doing her hair any more.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:23 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I agree that it's reasonable to drop her as a client. To be extra professional about it, why not recommend someone else to her when you refuse the appointment?
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 11:27 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• You should refuse to do things to her hair that you know will damage it. You are the professional and I think it would be your responsibility to let her know that what she is asking you to to will cause harm to her hair. If she still wants you to do it, you should still refuse and suggest she go to someone else for the treatment. Otherwise, you may just end up on Judge Judy!
    Iluvautumn

Answer by Iluvautumn at 11:27 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• You know what lluvautumn, she signed a waver for it, she insisted on the color. She knows her hair is unhealthy. I told her we weren't doing anymore color for awhile because of it. If I refused ever client because their hair was dry or breaking off, I wouldn't have any clients.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• have you told her that the issue is that her hair isn't healthy? have you made suggestions on what you think would be more appropriate for hair type?
    in my opinion, she's hired you for your hair expertise. if you can't speak up to her and give advice on what you think is best for her hair, then I think that the fault is with you.
    but on the same note, if you make suggestions and tell her why, and she still wants you to do something else, then it's her responsibility.
    but I would talk to her face to face.
    don't cop out on her with the letter business. because if you do she'll just tell everyone else what you did and you will most likely loose clients.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• UM ANON read the entire thread please before you decide I'm at fault thanks! I'm a hairdresser not God.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:44 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Of course I told her!!! It's called a consultation, she signed a permission slip saying I was concerned for the integrity of the hair. It is fine right now, but I don't want to do anymore. HELLO!!!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• If your clients are signing waivers allowing you to do damaging things to their hair, good luck. Hopefully they will not sue you even though they signed. Sounds like you want to drop this client specifically so you should drop her. It's one client. I'm no professional but I think there is a difference between dry and breaking hair and chemical treatments.
    Iluvautumn

Answer by Iluvautumn at 1:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2010