Should I worry if a hemorrhoid suddenly gets painful?

I've had a hemorrhoid for about two years now, since about halfway through my pregnancy with my now 18 month old. It didn't have time to go away before I got pregnant again, but it hasn't been painful or itchy or anything in all that time. I'm now 2 weeks post partum and the last two days it's suddenly become very painful! Should I worry? Do you think it's something I should call my doctor about, or just wait till my 6 week checkup?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Health

• Hemorrhoids can rupture and bleed. Have you tried any over the counter hemorrhoid cream or natural remedies? If those don't help then I would go to the doctor before it gets worse.
    akmccarty

Answer by akmccarty at 11:24 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Pain from hemorrhoids isn't unusual, I agree that you should an over the counter remedy, and if that doesn't help see the doctor. I've had them since my first child 28 years ago, and there are times when they are swollen and very painful, and then they shrink back up. They can be surgically removed, but I've never wanted to do this.

I use Preparation H, and Tuck's pads when they are hurting.

Hope you feel better soon, and congratulations on your new baby!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:28 AM on Oct. 11, 2010