about my 7 week old

Is it wrong of me to let my 7 week old DS lay in his crib and cry for a little bit. I need to get things done around the house and as soon as I lay him down he whines and cries. I don't want him to get used to me running to him for every peep he makes. I know there is a lot of controversy about this. I can't hold him all the time. I have a 4 year old that needs attention too. help? experience?

travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 11:34 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would wear him in a wrap. I wouldn't let a 7 week old cry very long.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:35 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I carried mine around with me all the time until they were old enough to play on the floor or use a walker to entertain themselves. I didn't have a wrap but if I had another child I would go with that.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:47 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Do you have a swing or bouncy seat? Sometimes babies like those more as they feel more like they are being held. None of my babies minded being layed down in them so I've never had to deal with this issue. But when it came to sleeping at night I noticed my first baby would scream like he was being tortured as soon as I would lay him down, and my second baby would just fuss. I would let a baby that young fuss, but I wouldn't let him or her scream.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• no, its not terrible. but change the scene for the baby. like in the swing, then crib, bouncer..i have a 2mth old and a 21/2 yo-so i kno what its like to have ur hands full and have to do stuff around the house while taking care of 2 kids. I so get it. It wont kill ur child to let them cry for a few mins. if hes fed and dry, theres really no need to hold him all day..i wish u luck!!
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 11:57 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I used to wrap my daughter on a blanket and she would fall a sleep and if she didn't I would let her cry a little bit and yeah don't get him used to you running when he cries try putting him on a swing or something so he falls a sleep good luck
    krystal2010

Answer by krystal2010 at 12:29 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i know you all said wraps but I do no trust them. I know a mom who used one with her child and without her knowing her baby suffocated in one. and he absolutley HATES to be swaddled. He's a little to big for me to do it as well. He can get himself out in a second.
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 1:41 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Well, when he's ready for a nap you might want to do what we always did. We found it worked best for us to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same. Diaper change, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on, cuddling/rocking/swaying. When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. Leave room and shut door. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming his lungs out, but minor fussing. I know there are a lot of moms who will disagree with this method but it is what worked for us. Our kids were good sleepers and happy babies. Best of luck to you.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:13 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i will try that...thanks! we had our 4 year old on a set routine like that and it worked great. I can't seem to get DS #2 on a routine. We'll get it
    travisnowensmom

Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Oct. 11, 2010