How early do your kids leave for the bus stop?

My kids are really strange. Their bus is supposed to come around 8:23am. That's what it says on the schedule and they are supposed to be out there 5 minutes early.

No problem. The bus stop is down the street so they should leave the house around 8:15 with plenty of time. But instead they choose to leave the house at 8am every morning. It's getting cold in the morning (it's 48F right now) and they stand out there for a good 20 minutes. My 10yo refused to put a jacket on, too (the other 2 kids had sweaters on).
Are my kids the only weird ones that like to go stand at the bus stop super early for no real reason (I don't think many of their friends are going to be out that early now that it's getting cold in the morning).

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 11:37 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son should be outside at 7. But, he pushes it until the last second and every once in awhile misses the bus. LOL He hates waiting outside forever.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:38 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• my daughter is a walker (while the weather is nice!) we leave at 8:25. Her school starts at 8:45
    spagal99

Answer by spagal99 at 11:39 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I should mention that if they miss the bus there's the chance they will have to walk the whole 2 miles to school since I don't have my own car and my husband isn't always home in the mornings (he doesn't leave for work until 11am but sometimes works doubles and is gone before we even get up).
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My kids bus picks them up at 5:27am. The bus stop is not in sight from my home so I walk with them every morning and we leave at 5:18 so we stand out there for a few mins before it gets there. But my kids are the only ones at the stop so they never want to leave super early.
    Mazie0723

Answer by Mazie0723 at 11:44 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My kids bus comes at 6:55 so it is almost impossible to get them out the door on time. I usually bring them to school as it is only 2 miles and they get to sleep for an extra hour (which means I do to). School starts at 7:55.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:46 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Our bus stop is 1.5 miles from the house and the bus comes at 6:45 am and we drive to the bus at 6:35. The high school is almost 20 miles from home. Due to the fact that our bus is somewhat unpredictable (has come 10 min early to 20 min late) we have missed the bus sometimes. My elementary students are in a charter school so no bus
    mtnaspen

Answer by mtnaspen at 12:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Our buses stop in front of all the houses and no one has to walk farther then the end of their driveway, but growing up we walked about half a mile and we were always there about 15-20 minutes early so we could hang with our friends.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2010