repaying Capitol One credit card debt after being scammed

A few years ago we owed on a credit card and couldn't pay it. so a debt collector calls and says he would like to set up a payment plan. We did.
Every month the money was sucked out and the repayment stopped the month the guy said it would and we thought we were in the clear.
Now another collector is calling saying we still owe the money! We said we paid it already! She said she knows nothing about it and would like to set up 4 payments for $$ a month. And would be happy to take our account info now over the phone. She was very firm with this and would not give any answers to my questions. What do I do at this point?
Capitol One is acting like we never paid the debt. the collector wants the payment plan set up. My husband is looking at a layoff soon, as he is a seasonal worker, so a payment plan does not work out at the moment. I am really ticked off about this and just don't want to cooperate.

togo90210

Asked by togo90210 at 11:39 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Money & Work

• NEVER give your bank account information to a debt collector....NEVER. Now you don't have a receipt for what that money was supposed to go for and therefore, no proof. I don't know what to tell you at this point because the credit card company doesn't think it has been paid because you paid a third party. No matter what happens from this moment forward #1) get everything in writing and #2) do not give anyone your bank info. If another bill collector calls you up and wants to set up a payment plan, tell them that you need everything in writing and once you get it in writing you will mail them a check.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:26 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I mean where did all that money go the first time we repaid the debt? does that not count for anything?
    togo90210

Comment by togo90210 (original poster) at 11:39 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• they are trying to do that to me too...i just got a thing in the mail where there is a lawsuit against them and i get so much of the settlement when it's over, maybe you'll get one in the mail soon too. i wouldn't pay them anything else
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:41 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I heard about the lawsuit too. And no I will never give out my account info over the phone again to just anybody
    togo90210

Comment by togo90210 (original poster) at 11:43 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• You didnt get receipts or confirmation numbers for your payments?
    mami2emily

Answer by mami2emily at 11:55 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yeah, I was harrassed by them, too. Even called me a F'n B over the phone--by a manager! I never had the no payment problem with them, though...it was the Gap (I paid it twice, and they want it all over again!) and Fashion Bug (long story with them dealing with a college and stealing mail)
    eirejade

Answer by eirejade at 11:56 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• No confirmation numbers or anything for payments just the part of the bank statement that says they, the collector, took another payment
    togo90210

Comment by togo90210 (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Sounds Like you need a lawyer..I can assist if you want to talk..Im not a lawyer but represent a company that will get you the help you NEED without costing an arm and a leg
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 12:08 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• How did you pay? If you wrote checks or paid through online banking your bank should be able to help you prove that you paid.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 1:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• You might try Googling your state and the words "bar association" Search their website for pro bono (free) legal aid. GL!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2010