If for some strange reason you didn't get up in the morning would your kids still get themselves up?

One day last week I was sick and my husband took a muscle relaxer for his back. We don't set an alarm in the morning because usually the baby wakes up up at 7am anyway.
But this morning both of us overslept since the baby decided 9am was a fine time to wake up. I got up and it was after 8am. I was slightly amazed to find my 3 kids (in 2nd, 3rd and 5th grades) had already left for the bus stop, just like they normally do when I'm up. So they got themselves up, dressed and out the door on time.
So, technically, they don't need me to be up in the morning. They don't eat breakfast here and I don't do anything anyway except tell the girls to brush their hair.
Any other kids pretty self sufficient?

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 11:40 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in

• My girls usually have to be woken up but on the weekends I sleep until they wake me up. This Saturday I woke up at 12:30 and they were both in my younger daughters room watching TV. They had made themselves cereal and even washed out their bowls! They are 6 and 7. I know when I was 7 I used to set my own alarm and get on the bus myself and my mom never woke up to help me.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 11:44 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Not at all. My son would still be snoozing too. Even if an alarm was set right beside his head. Even if he had been asleep for 12 hours. He is not the type.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:41 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• heck no! he'd think it was his 'day off' and he'd either be in bed with us, or in his playroom watching cartoons and redesigning his legos creations.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:43 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My 3yo does get up before me. He changes his wet pull up from sleeping, gets dressed and comes in my room to watch cartoons in the chair by my bed for an hour. The other three like to sleep.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My kids would think it was a holiday and may not realize that they should be getting ready for school. I had that happen a couple of times when I overslept. They still remained calm through it all though.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 11:45 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• if they woke up they would come climb in bed with me, but most likely they would just keep sleeping. I have to wake them up every morning.
    spagal99

Answer by spagal99 at 11:46 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My kids never used to be like that. Last year, at their old school, they had to get up at 6:45am so they could eat breakfast and be ready to go by 7:35am for the 10 minute walk to school. My oldest is NOT a morning person. But ever since we moved they've just gotten themselves ready in the morning. Even though they could sleep until 7:30 or 7:45am (and easily still be ready to leave on time) they get up by 7am every morning.
    A couple years ago it was a fight to get them all up and ready for school on time. Now I don't have to do a thing. Not complaining at all, just pretty amazed. It wasn't until me and my brother were in high school that we were capable of that (at least my brother, anyway).
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 11:46 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• my 1st 3 have always been independent and have never had to worry about them in the morning. Now that I have started over and my baby is in kindergarten...so far he has shown he will not get up without the alarm going off for 10 minutes
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I have the day off and son woke me up to drive them to school..lol. The rolls have reversed this year. Son was always the one late, always the one who was slow. This year dd is the one. She has to put her make-up on and blah, blah, blah. While son and I are standing at the door ready to go. DD is the oldest and she is becomming a morning drama queen....ugh
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Yes they would.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 12:43 AM on Oct. 12, 2010