Where do you get most of your recipes from: cookbooks, tv, your head, or online?

I have seen many recipes that were different by watching various food shows and were tempted to try them provided the ingredients weren't too costly. I have lots of cookbooks but I hardly use them unfortunately. I sometimes look online for recipes when I'm in a bind for something new. How about you?

CafeMochaMom1

Asked by CafeMochaMom1 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Food & Drink

• my mom, grandmother and mother in law
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:44 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Online mostly. I have cookbooks too and I make up some. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:44 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I am a cook book addict! so most come from there but when i want to make something and cant find a recipe i go to foodnetwork or allrecipes and punch in what i am looking for.
    spagal99

Answer by spagal99 at 11:44 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Cookbooks, online, and family.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:44 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I was raised by a mom who said a good cook never uses a recipe...and she is right my best dishes come from my own creations.

I do however look at recipes to get an idea then I alter it to make it better.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 11:49 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I get 'idea' from all those sources, but I usually just make it up after I get an idea.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:49 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• online, and I tweek them some to my taste.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 11:49 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• When I was younger my best recipes came from friends & family. Some of them still do, but over the years I became more brave, & began experimenting with new recipes from cookbook, tv, and eventually that I found online. Very rarely do I follow a recipe exactly, I consider the recipe more of an inspiration than something I HAVE TO follow.

I've got a large collection of cookbooks, and I always feel that if I find one recipe that I will use over & over again that it was worth the investment.

Don't be afraid to try new recipes, and if the ingredients are costly but the recipe looks yummy, don't be afraid to substitute with less expensive ingredients, and make the recipe your own.

Oh, and when I was a young bride at 19, we moved into a new neighborhood and I regularly set of the fire alarm cooking....later I ended up writing 2 cooking columns one for a newspaper, one for a magazine, & then photo chef for our newspaper.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:49 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I rarely use recipes anymore, except for baking. Most stuff is like...well, I have X, Y, and Z thing, let's see what we can do with this.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 12:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I get ideas everywhere but when I cook I do not measure, I am a throw it in the pot sort of cook, so I will have to say me head with influences everywhere. But when I bake always follow the recipie--you have to or it will not turn out---I get alot of those off the internet--allrecipies.com or from church cookbooks.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 12:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2010