Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Which Doctor should I go with??

I just found out I'm pregnant with our second baby. We had a very good experience with the Dr. who delivered our first. I have always seen an OB for my PAPS etc... and saw her for our first baby. I also see a family Dr. for everything else. He is also very good. Over the last several months I have been having very bad back and shoulder problems and have been going to my family Dr. Should I stay with him and have him deliver our second baby? Or should I go back to my OBGYN? My OBGYN does only that while family Dr. sees and handles everything. He also does not have the ultrasoundn equipment in his practice like my OB? What should do??

Answer Question

Asked by hollysybb at 11:45 AM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Pregnancy

Level 6 (145 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Why not see both? Use the OB for her specialty and the family doctor for your back and shoulder problems. Share your pregnancy news with your family doctor in case it dictates how your back and shoulder will be treated, and share your back and shoulder pain and treatment plans with your OB.

    Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:49 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • Who do you feel most comfortable with? Who do you feel closer to? That's who you should go with. Family doctors tend to be less interventive than OBs, meaning you are less likely to end up with a C-section, but if you should require surgery then he would need to call in someone else, since family doctors do not have surgical privileges at hospitals.Those are the big differences between family docs and OBs.

    Congrats and good luck!

    Answer by Ati_13 at 11:51 AM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • I would personally go with the doctor who delivered your first, than again which ever one your most comftorable with. Hope this helps :)

    Answer by joymoon87 at 12:41 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • I would talk with the family doc first since I don't know of many in our area that deliver babies. There is no reason not to see the family doc if he/she is comfortable with delivering a baby and you have no complications during your pregnancy. OBs are specialist that specialize in the female reproductive area and often deliver babies due to that. The family doc is less likely to want to intervene during delivery, but if it is a natural intervention free birth you are looking for a midwife is a better bet for that. Congrats on the pregnancy and good luck making the decision.

    Answer by aeneva at 12:57 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

  • An OB/GYN is specialized in the female reproductive area. Most family doctors only have general knowledge of delivering babies and if you would ever need a C-section your family doc won't be able to do it in any case. I would keep both. During your pregnancy go with the OB/GYN and for everything else use your family doc.

    Answer by ddsladyx at 4:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.