how to get an 8 month old to sleep!

Lately it seems like a fight to get Connor to sleep. He pushes me pulls my hair hits me.. it gets so bad i just give up and let him stay up until i get the courage to try again. I breastfeed and i never had anyone there to tell me what not to do... and now i feel like i'm paying for the bad choices i've made.. such as co sleeping. I'm mentally and emotionally drained and i need a change.. I'd love for some advice help anything.

christina_adams

Asked by christina_adams at 12:01 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes the baby is so tired he can't sleep just like us. What I do with my 6-1/2-months old son is rock him back and forth in my arms and sometimes sing a lullaby trying to remain calm myself at the same time. (It is difficult especially when he is pulling on my hair and trying to get out of my arms but I stick with it. It usually takes him about 30-45 minutes to fall asleep.) I also remove his hands from pulling my hair. Eventually, he falls asleep and let him sleep in my arms for a minute or two before putting him into his crib. Good luck!
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 12:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It may be that he's overtired... and it may be that he's not tired.

Kids' sleep needs change based on how much they're growing, how stressful their days are, and how active they are --the same way adult sleep needs change from day to day, depending on activity levels and stress.

It may be that he still needs another nap during the day, and so when it comes time for bed he hasn't had enough rest through the day to be able to relax into sleep in the evening. It's healthier to have periods of activity and alertness interspersed with periods of rest and quiet throughout the day, rather than saving up for the big sleep at night -which doesn't work very well for adults, either.

It may be that he is simply not tired as early as he used to be, and pushing his bedtime back until you see physical signs that he's tired (yawning, sitting still for longer periods, gazing into space) before starting the bedtime thing may help.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I usually do rock him.. then lay with him. He won't let me go and no matter how soft i try when i put him in his bed he wakes up and screams :( poor guy. I know he's just not used to it because I've always taken naps with him when he's slept. I know i brought all this on i just don't know how to fix it. He usually takes 2-3 naps during the day depending how long he sleeps for each one but at night he usually only wakes up 1-2 times which is good. My thing is i just want him to sleep in his crib. I don't know how to get him to like it, i've tried letting him play in there but he still just wants to sleep with me.
    christina_adams

Comment by christina_adams (original poster) at 12:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• You might have to tough it out for a few days. We always found it worked best for us to get into a sleep time routine that was always the same. Diaper change, lights out, drapes pulled, soft music on, cuddling/rocking/swaying. When the baby got drowsy he was laid down. Leave room and shut door. If done in the same manner, all the time, the baby picks up on the cues and knows it's time for sleeping. The lady I do childcare for has also asked me to follow a set routine with her baby. If the baby cries at all it isn't for long. And I don't mean screaming his lungs out, but minor fussing. I know there are a lot of moms who will disagree with this method but it is what worked for us. Our kids were good sleepers and happy babies. It's just one idea..............I wish you good luck no matter what you try.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 2:01 PM on Oct. 11, 2010