Sister-in-law not friendly.

I was wondering how many actually get along with their sister-in-laws? My brother-in-law's wife is very pleasant to me, in a generic way, but I get the feeling that she just doesn't like me very much (I hate when people dont' like me!). I am very nice to her and have even given her all of my baby things (things I could re-sell on ebay for lots of money if I chose to). I ask her to do things and she always has some excuse. She is pleasant to my face, but more in a way that someone would be pleasant to a co-worker or something. I have tried to have actual conversations w/ her and they are always very generic. I know I should let this go, that I can't have friendly relationships with all my family members, but it bugs me! Do other people care if they have relationships with their in-laws at all?

danielp

Asked by danielp at 12:08 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Relationships

• well im sorry but my boyfriend has a brother & he is in the marines i dont have any inlaws cause both his parents passed away i have a few inlaws like his aunts & cousins & i get along with them good so far
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 12:13 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• You won't always get along with family or people in general. My husband's sister gets along with me and "liked" me as long as I am friendly and don't have an opposite opinion than her. I'm sorry I don't like those terms... you either like someone for who they are or you don't, only liking them when they are what you want is selfish. So anyway now she doesn't like me because I got upset with her calling me a ungrateful liar when my husband informed her she left my backdoor unlocked while watching my home while on vacation. (I am the one who found it unlocked) But anyway, even if she doesn't like you at least she is being civil. In any relationship, someone they are associated or related to will not like you. Best way to look at it, your husband loves you and that is all that matters.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 12:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I am lucky i get along with DH sisters. They have yet to meet me too! LOL
    justme581

Answer by justme581 at 12:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Stop worrying about what other people think, act, and feel. Give yourself that freedom. You can't control how they feel about you.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:28 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• it is hard, i am treated civially but phony by my in laws. Civil as in a "hello" and thats about it. no invitation to family gatherings even though i invited them to ours. so it is hurtful and my husband finally understands my feelings about it, at first he thought i was just being sensitive things have happened since that made him realize there are feelings of resentment towards me, although we do not understand their reasoning we have supspicions of hear say by his former gf who they remain extremely loyal, even though she has made every attempmt to break us up, false accusations of drug use to try and get my husband terminated form employment I could go on and on, luckily at least law enforcement and court helped us, she did sit in jail for a few weeks for continuous harassment and stalking and in laws continue to defend and anable her. We stay away from them now, getting easier to accept i will never be fully accepted.
    DKK2010

Answer by DKK2010 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• yeah, my SIL hates me...
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• It's possible she is shy or doesn't know how to relate to you (or people in general).....I'm very reserved, shy, a homebody, etc....and I have had people think I don't like them because of it, and it just isn't true.....It just means that I'm different, and have different interests, as well as hermit tendencies...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• my BIL and i don't get along. we are nice to each other when we see each other, but neither of us likes the other (hubby doesn't have any sisters) i have no idea why he doesn't like me, i don't like him because he doesn't care about his kids, my kids, his brother(dh), or anyone else on he planet that isn't him, his parents, his girlfriend, or her family. i could go on and on, but the fact is we don't like each other and never will. i like my MIL even less, and she hates me for not bowing down to her. as long as i agreed with what she was saying she thought i was wonderful. when i stopped because she was pissed at DH and i sided with my husband, she hated me.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 3:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My brother's wife is the same way. I tried to be friends with her at the beginning of their relationship. The first time we invited to our house for dinner, she was four hours late because she was shopping. It's pretty much been downhill from there. The only time she called me is when she needed a favor. I found this post while I was looking for some support, which I don't get from anyone in DH's family. They all love her. They don't mind her superficial friendliness and constant begging for favors. I see her true colors when she lets her guard down and says the most awful things. Everyone else just says "Oh, she doesn't know any better" or "that's just how she was raised". Her husband is the golden child that PIL raised to be the awful egomaniac that he's become and he's even worse with her. They are seen as perfect when really they are complete idiots. For the sake of my sanity, I have stopped trying to socialize with them
    katapault

Answer by katapault at 3:43 AM on Oct. 27, 2014