Did you want your kids spaced apart or close together?

I'm glad my kids are close together but when I have my next it will be several years from now so there will be about a 6 or 7 yr gap lol. My friend wants a 3 year gap between her kids. I don't see what the big deal is bout having a gap.

LasciviousVamp

Asked by LasciviousVamp at 12:29 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in General Parenting

• My sister and I were 3 and a half years apart and we fought all the time. Now we are best friends but that gap made it hard for us to be able to relate to each other when we were younger. My boys are a year and a half apart and I think its going to work out better because they are close to the same age, they will and always have has each other to play with and be there for and have more in common and they are into the same things. I think that every situation is different thought and some parents want to have that gap so they can get past all the challenging stuff like potty training, walking, and give them their full attention before they have to do it all again.
    Tab2

Answer by Tab2 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I only have 2 and dont plan to have more but they are 3 1/2 years apart and it was perfect for us. My brother and I were 4 years apart and always got along well and still do. Mostly for me it was about enjoying each one while they were little and not having 2 in diapers at once. I was able to spend one on one time with each while they were learning all of those firsts. It all comes down to personaly preference though.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 12:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Mine are 15 months apart and it is rough sometimes. The older one thinks she is so much older and tries to act like a big sister but they are 6 and 7 and there is not much difference in their maturity levels. I would have chosen to have one child...no worries about spacing.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I like having my children close together in age, my boys are all about a year apart =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 12:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I would prefer that all of mine were close together. Mine are 13, 10, 9, 2 years, and 3 months. It's hard with them spread so far apart because they are interested in different places/things, the older ones want to go and do stuff, the younger ones need naps, it's just harder! We just got back from a week at the beach, the older ones go to bed later and get up later, the younger ones go to bed early and get up early - so we end up being awake from early in the morning until late at night! I wouldn't have chosen to have them so far apart if things had been different in my life (divorce and then remarriage to a man who never had kids). Not that I'm unhappy, I love all of my kids and we have a fun life, but it's just not ideal.

Answer by missanc at 12:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i want my close together my frist is due march 15th so i want to have the next n a year or maybe 2... but i dont see anything wrong with a gap a friend of mine is 20 and her little sister is 3
    liljess09

Answer by liljess09 at 12:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• We wanted to let nature space them and also believe in nursing until the child decides they are finished. My children ended up almost exactly 25 months apart.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:43 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i didn't think about it at the time but my children are a little over 3 years apart, have two. They are adults now and their bond is very strong. I don't know if the space in their age has anything to do with that but I am pleased that I had them not too far apart. Made it easier for me. I think it depends on how you feel and what you can deal with.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Ours are all 3 yrs gap. I like to enjoy my time with each one. Everyone is different.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• You have to do what is best for your family. My oldest is 8 years older than my second. Then 2 years between the next 2. They are surprisingly close. The oldest and youngest are both boys and they love sports, so they have a lot in common. Most often though, my husband will take the oldest to his games and I'll do something with "the littles".
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2010