Colds

What do you do when you have a cold and feel horrible?

MountainMomma3

Asked by MountainMomma3 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Health

• A warm bath (as warm as you can handle it) with eucaliptus oil will help with discongestion. Take some vitamin C or foods that have it. Drink herbal tea. At the health food store they have teas that are specially formulated for colds. or even just chamolile tea will help.
    ddsladyx

Answer by ddsladyx at 3:58 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• If I'm super-congested or have sore throat, I'll eat a bag of salt & vinegar chips with a lot (like 4 or 5 glasses) of water --that usually takes care of that. I am careful to only breath through my nose, which is hard to do to start with (feels like you're suffocating), but your sinuses have muscles in them that pull up and away if you need to breathe.

I don't have a neti pot, but I've heard such great things about them that I took up 'sniffing' water while showering whenever I feel a cold coming on... it sometimes makes me sneeze (good thing I'm in the shower!) but the steam and water helps clear up sinus troubles.

It probably has been 10 years since I had a miserable cold, though.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I have a cold right now! Usually I have to suck it up and keep up with my one year old but today her uncle is coming over to let me sleep! I drink tons of water, gargle warm salt water, take a bath, take care of myself! Before having a kid I used to just down nyquil and sleep as much as I could.
    dbodani

Answer by dbodani at 12:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• rest and drink lots of water
    kaysmom415

Answer by kaysmom415 at 4:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I rarely get colds, but when I do:

Echinacea (from the plant roots) I take it 3-4 times a day till all the symptoms are gone. I also take extra Vitamin C & zinc. If there is also fever or body aches, I take ibuprofen. For a really bad head cold, if I HAVE to be out in the world, I take pseudophedrine (you have to ask for it -- they keep it behind the counter these days). It dries up my sinuses enough for me to function, but I can only take it in the AM. Keeps me up at nite otherwise.

Sinus irrigation w/ a warm saline solution feels weird, but works wonders. If you can't find a neti pot, some drugs stores have plastic squeeze bottles for this purpose that come w/ saline packets you mix with warm water. They really help with allergies too.

Also, a hot shower helps clear sinuses and relax your whole body. I usually do this just before bed.

Extra rest, drink up, & keep your hands clean. (Don't want to spread those germs) :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 2:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2010