How does your school do parent teacher confrences?

I get irritated every year with PTC. When my oldest was in kindy-1st I missed every single one because I had no car and they were always when my husband had to work. At the school they went to the last 3 years they gave you a time and you showed up. they didn't take into account your schedule and if you didn't show up they suspended your kids (ugh).
Now we're in a new school and PTC are every afternoon for a week (kids get half days). Problem is my husband works nights and I don't have a car. The 2nd grade teacher gave me a few options for times and said she would TRY to schedule them on the same day as my other kids. Great. It's a 2 mile walk to the school (takes me about an hour to walk there) with 5 kids including a 3 month old. Should be interesting. I am NOT looking forward to this. And, no, it's not an option for my husband to take time off.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 12:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in

• Wow, I have NEVER heard of the school suspending a student because the parent missed a conference. That seems incredibly harsh and punishes the student for something that has nothing to do with him or her.
    I guess we live in a district that handles them very well--my 2 kids have conferences automatically scheduled back-to-back. They do this for all siblings attending the same school. And they ask if you can make it--if not, they will help you select an alternate date. It seems to me that whoever is coordinating the conferences is not really doing much at all.
    I'm sure you've already considered this, but do you have anyone nearby who could watch the kids while you went to conference? Or a neighbor who could give you a ride? Would the school consider doing a phone-conference instead, if you explained the situation?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 12:42 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Conferences are optional here and they will do phone conferences during the scheduled time. My kids school sends home a sign up sheet for each kid and you put down three that would work for you and they pick one for you.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:47 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• my daughters teacher puts out a sign up sheet and we pick a time. They only do conferences one day a week, but if the times dont work she will make other arrangements or do a phone conference. you should ask her if you could do a phone conference. I cant believe they are not more helpful with your situation.
    Good Luck
    spagal99

Answer by spagal99 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• All teachers my daughter has ever had sent home a time, but you could reschedule, if needed. We also have the option of doing the conference over the phone, but I prefer to go in person.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Their old school gave me a week to make up the missed conferences before they threatened to suspend them until I showed up (no mention of my husband...just me). The week of conferences I was sick as a dog with the flu. I explained that to the teachers and they were all fine with it but the conferences in person were mandatory. I was so aggravated because they then scheduled me for 2 morning conferences and one after school. So I had to haul all 4 kids to the school at 7am in the middle of winter when I was still sick. By the time I got there (walking 10 minutes) I was coughing so hard I couldn't breathe and we had to wait a good 15 minutes before I stopped before we could even start the conference. I was ticked. They didn't tell me anything I didn't already know about my kids.
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 1:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Here, they are held over two days. They do try to schedule them back to back if you have more than one kid at school. I always write in and request the day and time I prefer. They are usually pretty accomodating of that. Even when I haven't requested a certain time, when they send home the note with the date and time it's always with something that has to be returned saying "yes I can come" or "no I can't, this would suit me better". Last year I was having surgery on the dates of the PTC so my kids teachers let us come in after school the day before.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 2:01 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• NO school should be threatening or suspending a child for a missed PTC, they are not mandatory. The teacher should also be working with the parents to make the PTC at a convienent time for all. My son's school has a set couple of days and time choices. If you can't make those, they try and schedule other times. My son actual does the conference with prompting from the teacher. It is pretty cool. I have missed PTC before and it wasn't a problem.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:08 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Our conferences are spread over one full day/night and an additional morning. Our teacher asks each parent what time slot they prefer starting about 2 weeks ahead of time. If the times available don't work she will do it on another day. The teacher who has the highest percentage of parents show up for a conference wins a prize.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 12:42 AM on Oct. 12, 2010

• My 3 are teens now and we have never had a MANDATORY parent conference. Also, if the teacher called and wanted a conference, we discussed the best days and times until we found something mutually okay. If I were you, I'd call first the principal and then the superintendent and if needed, the school board president to complain loud and long about this treatment of you. I'm sure you're not the only parent who has difficulty with their system. And I might consider calling a lawyer if they ever tried to suspend my child because I couldn't make a meeting.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 2:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

• I just talk to myself. I homeschool. hehe
    mom2queenie2004

Answer by mom2queenie2004 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2010

Next question in
Are your kids

Next question overall (Home & Garden)
tips on cleaning my coffee maker