Too young for tubes??

I have a 5 mo old that is starting to get repeated ear infections that seem to stand up to antibiotics. My DD (who is now 5) had ear infections and we were about to get tubes at 2yrs, but then she started to get better. my 5 mo old seems to get them more often and they do not go away with meds. I have heard that some get them as young as 6 mo - I would love to not have to live with repeated ear infections.... pros and cons and experiences on getting them young?

madzachmom

Asked by madzachmom at 9:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• two of my nephews had them put in at 6 mos. talk to your doctor and see what he/she says... cause i think that its something they can help you with..
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:49 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• My mom waited with my brother to have his tubes when he was a little older and it severly delayed his speech. I had mine done at 6 months and my speech was not effected at all. If you are going to do them I suggest doing them as early as you can.
    NewMum2007

Answer by NewMum2007 at 12:56 AM on Oct. 27, 2008

• My little boy had tubes in his ears when he was 6 months because of chronic ear infections. The procedure only took about 5 minutes and it only took him another 10 min to come out of the anestia all the way. He has not had an ear infection since the tubes were put it almost 8 months ago. Our lives have been so much easier and he is much happier and healthier. I would talk to your doctor and ask him for a referral to an ENT and discuss it with him. Message me if you have any other questions. Good Luck!
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 10:57 AM on Oct. 27, 2008