Toddler Weight

They switched pedi's at our doctor's office, and she says my DD is under weight. She's 22 pounds and almost 17 months old. I was surprised she said that as she eats well, and does not look under weight. What do you consider under weight for a toddler?

MountainMomma3

Asked by MountainMomma3 at 12:42 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't have any experience with this as my kids have always been on the top side of the size scale. My 17 month old is 30 lbs. lol. She was born almost 10 lbs, though.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i dont think thats underweight at all! my 13 month old is like 25 lbs, but she's always been a big baby.
    proudmommy690

Answer by proudmommy690 at 12:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Underweight children are... obvious. They're gaunt, and have poor skin tone. Their bones are clearly visible through the skin in their faces. Their ribs are visible front and back all the way to the top.

Your doctor is an idiot. 22 pounds at 17months is completely average. She may well be in the 3rd (or 27th) percentile, but 50% is not 'right' --it's just 'average' --meaning that median of the population (that they measured --mostly white Germanic mid-western Americans, not Asians or Norse or the tiny Northern Italians or the long and lean Ethiopians) will be at the 50th percentile...and everyone else will range from 1 to 100.

These statistics (not 'averages' --statistics) mean that in a group of 100 randomly selected (mid-western Americans of Germanic heritage) people this age, your daughter is lighter than, what, 97 or 74 of them... and taller than 60 or 80 of them? So?

Typically, between ages 1 and 4, kids gain 5-10lbs.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:48 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• i wouldn't worry too much because if she eats well she could just be a little girl. can find out what is about average. but my dd is 18months and 28.1lbs and she is a little girl in my eyes. don't worry too much. all kids are different. as long as she is eating. oh my ped said most kids at this age actually graze more then eat whole meals. i had concerns too about her eating habits.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• my boys were always light weight. my pedi's rule of thumb was that as long they are eating, growing, reaching proper miles stones, and thriving, they were fine. my 6yr old is 40 lbs, my 4yrs old is 32 lbs and my 17mo is 23lbs.
    rfurlongg

Answer by rfurlongg at 12:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Personally our doc says as long as they stay within plus or minus 10% of the percentile they were born in he is happy. For my oldest that means 0-20% is where he should be. According to most people that is underweight, but for my son that is just where he was born and has always been. As long as they are active and happy and healthy in other ways then our doc sees no issue with his weight being so low on the charts. My oldest is now 5 and just finally hit 40 lbs and my youngest is 3 years old and weighs 36 lbs.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:08 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• That's what I thought too Linda. I told her that Emily is not under weight at all. My older 2 were the same as Emily and I had never been told that.
    MountainMomma3

Comment by MountainMomma3 (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• How annoying. Dr.s either say they are too big or too small. I'd say if she is happey, has lots of energy, tell your dr. shes new and dosnt know your dd, and you arnt concerned, the other dr said she was fine.(lol)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 12:55 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• my son is 3 feet tall and 26 lbs. he has always been in the 5-15% for weight. i was very skinny as a kid but was normal. i think genetics have a lot to do with it. i think if they are having enough wet/dirty diapers and are eating healthy and enough than they are fine. some kids are smaller than others. there are so many over weight kids now a days it makes are smaller kids look too small when infact they are normal.
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 1:40 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My daughter didn't hit 20lbs until she was 18 months old. She is now 5 1/2 years old and weighs 36lbs. She eats well and is very healthy...she is just petite. All children are different.
    MomToLilAngel

Answer by MomToLilAngel at 3:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2010