I AM 17

WITH A ONE YEAR OLD AND MY GRANDMOTHER WHO I STAY WITH LIKES TO TAKE CONTROL AND SPOIL MY SON WHAT DO I DO WHEN I HAVE ALREADY TOLD HER TO QUIT AND SHE JUST KEEPS AT IT??

juliansmommie23

Asked by juliansmommie23 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 26, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is hard! My parents do the same thing. I was having a hard time with them giving her sweets (popsicles, candy, cookies, etc). I kept asking them not to but they would just do it when I wasn't there. Finally I talked to them when we were eating dinner. I explained that I am trying to curb any bad eating habits. I told them I didn't want her to struggle with being over weight when she was older and I was trying to get her started on the right track. That worked.

They also let her watch t.v and movies whenever she was over there. That was especially hard. I had to ask them to narrow it down to 1 movie.

Try to remember that you are lucky to have someone that loves your child so much! Even though it drives you crazy. Good luck!
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 9:31 PM on Oct. 26, 2008

• It is hard, because they feel as grandma it is their right to spoil and let the parent deal with it later. But, there is also taking it toooo far, and if you have asked her to stop. Then you need to sit down with her and have a talk with her/
    I know it is hard because you live with her..but all the more reason for you to come to some kind of understanding about things. After all the child is yours! and sometimes as the parent you have to step in when you feel the other family memeber(s) are taking it to far, and doing something you dont want. Spoiling is okay..but there is a line. and if you feel that line is being crossed. Then speak up.
    Anonymous

• Well I totally understand your point, but I am a grandma now, so I see that side too. I think it's the grandparents "role" to spoil the grandchildren, then send them home to their parents. When the grandchild lives with you it gets harder because we want to spoil them but then we also have to deal with the little monster we created! I have learned that the hard way!!! LOL I say pick your battles, then have a talk with your grandma, pick a few rules or limits that are very important to you and ask your grandma to abide by those. One step at a time. She can still spoil him with her love and attention, but some things she can't do, like junk food, or buying too many toys. Remember she's learning this role as much as you are learning yours as mother, if the two of you try to work together, things will work out better. You are very lucky to have her in your life!
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 9:41 PM on Oct. 26, 2008