To go with all the homosexual questions lately (yet is not about homosexuality)...

Those of you against homosexuality, are you also against transgenderism? If so why? Are you also against letting these people have basic human rights?

For those who support the trangender community, what do you think can be done to help more? What laws do you think need to be passed?

For those who don't know, being transgender means you identify with a gender different than the one you were born with (and yes there are more genders than the binary code that exists in main society).

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 12:52 PM on Oct. 11, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Equal rights means ALL humans. Not one set of rights for one set of people and another set of rights for another set of people. This isn't about sexual orientation. It's about equal rights for all.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 12:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I think there needs to be more awareness on this subject, often it is shuffled under the rug, for it is too complicated to understand for some. It must be a living hell to feel trapped in the wrong body!

Answer by older at 12:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Alice - I understand but transgenderism isn't about sexual orientation. It is about gender identity.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 12:56 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I think everyone knows what most people feel about this subject (which to me is basically the same thing) and it's really irritating to see all of these posts about it. Let's move on to something else.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 1:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• My kids have been to summer camp with some ... exploring teens. I say 'exploring' because one year he's a boy, the next year he's identifying as a girl and the following year he's refusing to use pronouns or be labelled any gender.

Identifying with a gender is such a strange idea... to me. Having never felt that there was anything in the world I could not elect to do, except they physical body stuff (like father a child), it seemed to me from a very young age that pretty much everything we think of as 'masculine' or 'feminine' in our binary (thank you, that's a great term!) code is arbitrary, and I have learned that it has changed dramatically over the past centuries (women used to be considered incapable of romantic love, and couldn't have written a soppy, romantic poem with any amount of effort, it was the ladies' men who wore lace and high heels and long curly hair).

'Identifying' requires pretty strict definitions, imo.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I dont have a problem with them in day to day life BUT until the PARTS match up I would really rather we keep to the restrooms and locker rooms and such of the sex you were born too. Especially in schools. Thats just my PERSONAL opinion and has NOTHING to do with HATE.
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Linda - It is so much more than just gender stereotypes. It is about hating your physical body (for most). Wanting it to be something different and (usually) being powerless to change it.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 1:04 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• momof030404 - Do you know how embarrassing that is? Say a female to male person is the person in question. That person can look, act and pass as male 100% of them time. Yet that person can still not of had the bottom surgery done yet (if that is going to happen at all). So you want that person to use the female bathroom? How does that make any sense? Especially considering that some transgenders do not 'fully' transition.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 1:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• Do you know how embarrassing it is to a someone who ISBT transgender? Or do they not really matter? I know as a teen I would have been uncomfortable with a boy in the bathroom for the SAME reasons you say a transgender person would. As an adult I wouldnt want a man in the womens restroom. How would I or a child know that the person was transgender? Would you have the transgender person wear a sign? I realize the logistics of this or a little crazy but WHO gets precedent here? Well...I am going with the majority. HOWEVER I know locally at our mall and may restaurants there are mens and women's restrooms and there are Family restrooms that are just one stall. Maybe THAT would be the solution......just require private room restrooms? But as much as many of you want to make me a horrible, hateful person for feeling the way I do yall are saying the SAME thing...only from the OTHER side.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 1:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2010

• I think you are missing the point. The point is you want someone who PASSES as a different gender to use a restroom that doesn't fit them. You are asking someone who acts, looks and is perceived by society to be male to go in a female's restroom. You wouldn't know if that person was transgender or not because that person would appear male. Or do you want to start doing full body searches just to use restrooms. Then again I don't understand the need for separated bathrooms anyways.

CIS people do matter, but so do transgender people. Neither wants to make the other uncomfortable. But why in the world, as a CIS person, would you want someone who passes 100% as female except she still has a penis to use the male's restroom where she will be ridiculed? You wouldn't know that she has a penis so what does it matter. She would look just as female as you.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2010